1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DezaK91, Nov 18, 2016.

1. DezaK91

DezaK91 Just Hatched

Nov 18, 2016
    Hello all. I just joined but I have been reading some of the posts for some time now. I recently have a problem with round worms and am needing some advice on dosing with either Ivomectin 1% or safeguard. I did the Ivomect about 13 days ago and today I found worms in some poop on one of the roosts. I am not sure if the chickens are shedding the worms or if tue Ivomect did not work on the round worms and now I need to treat with Safeguard. Any help would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I'm no worming expert, but I'll see if I can get you some assistance from another member, assuming she is still awake [​IMG] If not, you maybe better posting on the ER forum - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10 but hang fire for a short while.

Best wishes
    CT

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Ivomec/Ivermectin is not effective for treating most worms, to my knowledge... I had a severe wormload issue in my flock and I highly recommend that you treat with the Safeguard 10%... that definitely looks like a bad roundworm issue for sure, but there *may* be other types of worms you aren't seeing as well, just an fyi... I'm copying and pasting a quote from Kathy, our resident BYC member who has done *tons* of deworming research and helped me treat my own flock...

Oh, and GOOD PIC!!! :)

About using Safeguard...

"The amount I use to treat the most worms possible is 0.5 cc per 2.2 pounds by mouth for five consecutive days. This will treat roundworms, cecal worms, gape worms, capillary worms and it *might* treat some species of tapeworms.

If treating for just roundworms and cecal worms I use the same amount, but for just one day instead of five. This one I repeat in ten days."

@casportpony used a quote from you... :D
    And there is a great pic of worms...

4 people like this.
  4. DezaK91

DezaK91 Just Hatched

Nov 18, 2016
    With this amount of worms do you think the one day treatment would be enough or should I just go for it and do tue 5 day treatment? And thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

It would be one day and then again 10 days later... it should treat the roundworms just fine, but like I said, I would be worried about other types of worms as well, like capillary or gapes... are any of your birds yawning, coughing or seem to have any breathing difficulties but without any runny nares/discharge from nares? That *could* indicate other worms as well...

Personally, I would run the 5 day course, but that's myself... you might be just fine with doing the Day 1 and Day 10... but I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to worms...

6. DezaK91

DezaK91 Just Hatched

Nov 18, 2016
    Yeah me too.....the five day it is. Thanks again! And no to any of the other signs and symptoms you mentioned above (yawning, coughing, sneezing etc.).

1 person likes this.
  7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Looks like you've received some great advice already so I'll just say best wishes and hope your roundworm issues are taken care of. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] Great to have you aboard!

1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC! And I thought I didn't have a weak stomach. :sick Great picture though, glad people were able to give you advice!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by