New member!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by McAl Bre, Nov 20, 2016.

1. McAl Bre

McAl Bre Just Hatched

Nov 20, 2016
    Arkansas
    Hello everyone, I am a new member and so glad to be a part of this great group!! I started raising my very first flock as babies in March, they are such fun and are doing great!! I do however, have a question already! :)
    I have a hen that has started going up to the newer hens that are trying to lay their eggs and pecking them until they leave the nest. She then goes in sits for a little bit then went to another hen did it to her also, once the hen gets out of the nest she pecks them until they leave the coop itsef.
    She is not acting broody at all, such as sitting all day or being aggressive otherise. I finally removed her from the flock just so the hens can lay their eggs.
    Any idea why she is doing this all of a sudden?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Have you recently added these new birds to your flock? Exsisting flock members will often assert authority over new members whilst they figure out their pecking order. Also some hens always want the nesting box that someone else is in. They seem to get there favourtes and stick to them. Please do pop by the behaivour section where I'm sure you will get more help ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying

Good luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! Good link by @Yorkshire Coop ! I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes!

1 person likes this.
  4. McAl Bre

McAl Bre Just Hatched

Nov 20, 2016
    Arkansas
    Thank you both for the reply, I will be checking those links out!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  5. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under McAl Bre [​IMG] Welcome!

I have a hen, Cilla, who has absolutely no problem with 3 of the 4 remaining flock members using any of the nest boxes but as soon as Blondie, her daughter, steps into a nest Cilla sits in the coop complaining at the top of her voice to the point that we have to lock Blondie in the coop and Cilla out until Blondie is done. This happens every time Blondie lays an egg. Chickens are silly and have their own chickenalities; with some we will probably never know why they do what they do [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

9. McAl Bre

McAl Bre Just Hatched

Nov 20, 2016
    Arkansas
    Oh yes, thank you! It is funny her name is Cotton (Grandaughter named her) she is a red Sexlink, she used to be super sweet, she had got hurt when my female dog decided she wanted to play.. pluck the chicken...sigh! She pulled out all of her back feathers and of course she had to be separated from her flock due to the others attacking her. So you would think she would remember that and be nice! lol
    I recently added 5 new hens, all her same age and even kept them separately but next the the coop pen for the day. Then introduced them after dark into the coop. They all welcomed them very well except for miss Cotton. She finally got pulled out and got to watch them from a distance for the day. Also put her back in after dark, she did better out of the coop but then she started this running them out of the nest while they are trying to lay. So I took her out again today for all day! We shall see what tomorrow brings!
    These girls sure have changed my life! I am now officially a "Crazy Chicken Lady"!! Thank you for the awesome welcome, nice meeting new friends with the same craziness!!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community. Looks like others have offered up some great advice so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by