Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Barbwire54, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Barbwire54

Barbwire54 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2016
    Hi
    I am a new member in Alabama by way of Georgia. I obtained 6 chicks this year from the local farmer's co-op that were supposed to be Ameracanas. There are 2 brown, 2 grey, and 2 white. They laid green, blue and pinkish tan eggs, usually 5 per day. My pen is resourced from discarded items. I started with pallets and then obtained wire panels that are offten found in workshops to secure tool areas. My gate is a pallet and I bought my chicken house second hand. The open area of the top is covered by a green mesh I found on ebay. It is often used to prevent birds from eating fruit on trees in orchards. Here we use it to protect the hens from hawks as we live in a National Forest. I am trying to upload pics but having problems. Sorry if they don't come out.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Barbwire54, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Lots of folks re-purpose materials for their coops - I think that is awesome! Best wishes to you and your flock...and watch out for those hawks!! [​IMG]

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Barbwire54 [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

4. Barbwire54

Barbwire54 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2016
    Thanks both for your warm welcome. I will upload pics as soo as I can get a better signal!

5. LauraBrown

LauraBrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens [​IMG]

7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Recycled materials is a great way to build a coop and/or run but I would encourage you to find something to replace the chicken wire, especially with the wildlife that may inhabit a national forest. Chicken wire isn't strong enough to keep out predators.

Good luck to you and thanks for joining us.

9. eames

eames New Egg

Dec 27, 2016
    Happy to be a new member!My plan is to start keeping chickens starting in May. I want to build the coop over the winter. I need help on building a co-op. I have a 10 x 10 chain link pen and a car shede covering half of it. I need suggestions on what's next. The chickens will be able to have some free range during the day. I want to keep 6 to 8 chickens for eggs and pleasure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

10. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

If you haven't already done so, check out all the great coop ideas under the Coop tab at the top of the screen. If you need answers to specific questions, there's a forum for coop and run construction: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

Thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by