Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by McGinnis7182, Jan 6, 2017.

1. McGinnis7182

McGinnis7182 New Egg

Jan 6, 2017
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Hello! We are new here and new about chickens. We currently have 1 adult rooster 2 adult hens and their off springs a total of 20 chickens! We have no idea what kind of rooster we have.... all we know are game hens and roosters. Macho our rooster has strong genes, from their 20 offsprings, 10 are hens and 10 are roosters! We really enjoy our featherpets[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

There's a forum named "What Breed or Gender Is This" where you can post photos to get help identifying your bird's breed if you would like to know. Sounds like your rooster is doing a good job carrying on the family name, lol. What are you going to do with all those little boys?

1 person likes this.
  3. McGinnis7182

McGinnis7182 New Egg

Jan 6, 2017
    We would like to know what breed are though. Those 10 little boys fight awfully!! We are considering on selling 9. But we have no idea what breed are. We also have 6 white pigeons... all started with 2 lol

4. LittleBrownie

LittleBrownie Queen of Stache

Sep 30, 2014
    California
    Welcome to BYC!
    Wonderful flock you have there!
    Just like NFC said, it best to post on that forum to figure out the breed.
    Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under McGinnis7182 [​IMG] Welcome!

Your chickens look beautiful and healthy!

I hope you are able to find some nice homes for your additional boys.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you with us! Beautiful chickens you have there! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Generally there is a glut of cockerels/roosters on the market. Most people aren't allowed to have one, so there are a lot of birds looking for homes. The boys are fighting a lot to determine who is the alpha of their group. Of course your Rooster won't let them take over his top spot. Roosters can handle 10 hens, so if you want to keep peace with your fellas they would need their own flocks of 10 hens each OR, you have to rehome(somehow) all the extras.

Another option is to keep them in a bachelor pad all together, where the fighting will die down as long as they can't see any hens. Of course then you will be feeding boys that have no use to you and will never produce eggs. Sending them to "freezer camp," is another option

1 person likes this.
  8. McGinnis7182

McGinnis7182 New Egg

Jan 6, 2017
    so far macho, the dad still the alpha and it is very good rooster... keeps peace and when the boys start fighting, Macho will stop that immediately lol even when the girls start fighting lol. We didn't know that for every 2 eggs, one was gonna be a rooster. We were thinking about keeping me all, but we don't have that many hens per rooster nor that many chicken houses. So far we only have 2 adult hens (the mommas) and 3 young hens from the first group of eggs that hatched.

9. McGinnis7182

McGinnis7182 New Egg

Jan 6, 2017
    what is a freezer camp?

10. michelle90

michelle90 New Egg

Jan 6, 2017
    Hola I'm a new member. I have 2ducks and Im here to learn as much I can to take care of my ducks. Atm One is sick and the other is okay.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by