Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by amyopoka, Jan 19, 2017.

1. amyopoka

amyopoka Just Hatched

Jan 19, 2017
    Hi I am Amy Opoka and I have had chickens for 3.5 years. I have read this forum for a long time but never joined till now. I have added 4 batches of new chickens over that time, right now I have 10 hens and 4 babies about 6 weeks old. I have a mixed flock with Easter Egger, Buff Orpington, Black Australorp, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Brown Leghorn, Buckeye, Cuckoo Maran, and a Comet. My four babies came from a breeder friend and are not sexed, so I am worried they will all be roosters! The problem is they are mixed breed Easter Eggers and I am not really sure how they are going to turn out so it is hard to tell if they are male or female. One I think I heard give a baby crow this morning though when I turned on the lights! All my previous ones were all hatchery sexed so this will be my first experience with roosters. Also this is the first time getting babies in winter, so not sure how long I have to keep them inside before trying to mix them with my flock.
    I also have 3 kids and 5 Scottish deerhounds, so all that keeps me busy!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Amy, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you in our flock! After your chickens are a few weeks old and if you are still having gender questions, post some of the pics in the link below - the folks that patrol that thread are great at determining hens from cockerels. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
    In terms of when they can be integrated with the flock....not sure where you live but the general rule is when chicks are fully feathered (4-6 weeks) they can be outside without supplemental heat. There may be variation in the amount of time if we are talking a Florida winter vs. a Minnesota winter, for instance. Best wishes and thank you for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

3. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello, Amy!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 November....... my favorite month Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
  5. amyopoka

amyopoka Just Hatched

Jan 19, 2017
    Thanks for the welcome. I am in Ohio, so the winters can be quite cold. So far I have kept them inside, but if the weather were warmer, they would definitely be out! I may convert part of my garden shed to a temporary chicken pen, so they don't have to go straight out into the cold with the adult/big hens. Thanks for the tip about posting pics to the gender/breed section, I definitely will, because I am dying of curiosity.

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 November....... my favorite month Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens - wow - FIVE Scottish Deerhounds - they are really big dogs.

8. LauraBrown

LauraBrown Chillin' With My Peeps

:welcome Glad you joined us!

9. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Amy, it's nice to have you here!

Would you mind sharing a photo of your dogs? Love those big ol' things!

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Amy [​IMG] Welcome!

I would love to see some pictures of your dogs also please.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by