Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nitrochicken2, Jan 25, 2017.

1. nitrochicken2

nitrochicken2 New Egg

Jan 25, 2017
    Hi my name is Mel and I'm thinking about starting a chicken coop this summer. I've never owned chickens. I'm thinking about it for a couple reasons. One is for the eggs and two is for the poop [​IMG] to put nitrogen back into the soil for the grass and my garden. Any helpful tips would be great especially how to build a secure coop for part time free roaming chickens.

2. CathlovesJim

CathlovesJim Out Of The Brooder

Hi Mel! Welcome to BYC! Those are the same reasons I'm building a coop! That and I wanted company when I'm in the garden. You've come to the right place! There are so many wonderful helpful people here!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! How exciting for you to be planning your new chicken adventures. I'm sure you will enjoy them very much. My best advice right now would be to check out our learning Center. It's packed full of info on getting started ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy your time here on BYC. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help :frow

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  6. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
  7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Mel, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Looks like you've already received a bunch of good links so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

9. LauraBrown

LauraBrown Chillin' With My Peeps

:welcome Mel! Gald you joined us!

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Mel [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by