Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by faraleeheaven, Jan 31, 2017.

1. faraleeheaven

faraleeheaven New Egg

Jan 31, 2017
    Hi everyone. Our family became chicken lovers last May to three beautiful RIR. ( Chicken Curry, Maleficent, and Seeds) We were so happy and never knew how attached we would become. We lost Chicken Curry in Nov to what we believe one of our dogs attacking her for a piece bread. It was tough on all of us. We took her to a vet and they put her down. Soon we found ourselves in Dec with more babies. All was happy again. BUT yesterday a pair of hawks took two of our 4 mo RIR that were free ranging. Our dogs did what was right barked there heads off but the family at home thought nothing if it. It was too late. They found one of the babies and buried her, the other gone. This loss hurts. We feel like we failed them. We also understand nature and the hawks are only doing what they are suppose to do to survive. So I have been reading multiple posts from here to the wee hours of the morning to help with the grieving process and to better protect our girls. I look forward to being a part of this community and to learn all about caring for our "girls".

2. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2017
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I have personally had several taken by dogs/predators myself. New babies always helps. :)
    Welcome to BYC,
    DB

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, faraleeheaven, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us but sorry for your loss. [​IMG] Free-ranging is not without it's risks and I'm sorry this happened to you and your flock. Hang in there. [​IMG]

4. faraleeheaven

faraleeheaven New Egg

Jan 31, 2017
    Thank you Double Barrel and redsoxs. I am looking at the hoop runs on this website. Hoping my husband will agree to make. He has done such an awesome job with the Coop. The hawks both came by this am. Our girls are in the coop fenced area not making a peep. I'm sure they are traumatized[​IMG] Taking the advice from the forum here to keep them safe. Use to live in Witchita Kansas. Loved it there!

5. LauraBrown

LauraBrown Chillin' With My Peeps

:welcome Glad you joined us! Sorry for your loss :/

6. faraleeheaven

faraleeheaven New Egg

Jan 31, 2017
    Thank you Laura Brown! I just found our missing Siera ( the one I thought the hawk took off with) in the neighbors yard! She heard me talking to the others and started answering me. I started to cry when I found her! Even her sisters started cleaning her and talking to her when she rejoined them[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So glad you have a survivor. What happens often is others panic and then hide when under attack. It's not unusual to have them show up a day or two later expected breakfast.

Do you think it's possible your dogs may have scored again and not a hawk?

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Laura Brown, is your avatar a new puppy?

9. LauraBrown

LauraBrown Chillin' With My Peeps

No.... that's one of the dogs in my default photo... it's from last year [​IMG]

10. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry for your losses but glad you had a missing one show up! Free ranging is a mix of pros and cons...hope you find the balance that works best for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by