Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by millefiori, Mar 22, 2017.

1. millefiori

millefiori New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    New member, trying to decide between chickens and ducks! Very excited to join BKY!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Welcome to BYC! Get both. :D

It's great to have you with us.

3. kingchickies

kingchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2017
    Texas
    Welcome! I'm new too, have 19 chicks and loving it! I want ducks, but my hunny says no, we will see...haha

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I currently have chickens, ducks, geese, guineas, and turkeys. Chickens are by far the easiest. I find ducks a little higher maintenance. Here's a section from the Learning Center with articles that discuss what it takes to be a chicken keeper: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens
    And some similar articles about the ins and outs of raising quackers: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/256233/ducks-sticky-topics-index
    Whatever you decide, best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    When faced by indecision - take both. Usually that works for me. Hubby can end up liking the ducks as much as chickens. Usually holding one is all it takes to convert husbands.

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under millefiori [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received links to some great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

8. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Whichever one you go with, you'll enjoy!

9. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2017
    Welcome to BYC! I have chickens and ducks, and I love them both! So, you know....Get both! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by