sdunmoyer

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2017
Portland, Indiana
Hi everyone.Thanks for adding me. Fairly new to the chicken thing. My 6 big girls are about 7 months old. They all started laying in the last month or so. I quickly learned about chicken math and have recently added 12 more birds to the family. I read a lot and since the unexpected arrival of the first 6, I have researched and read a lot about chickens. I'm still learning and have questions for sure.
. A picture of one of the girls.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community!! You certainly have come to the right place for all the fun and learning.

Pretty Barred Rock there! What is her name?
smile.png

Definintely stop by our learning center. Lots of great articles on all the aspects of keeping your birds healthy and happy... https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Make yourself at home here and if you have any question, feel free to ask.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours! :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

So glad you could join our community!! You certainly have come to the right place for all the fun and learning.

Pretty Barred Rock there! What is her name? :)

Definintely stop by our learning center. Lots of great articles on all the aspects of keeping your birds healthy and happy... https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Thanks for the welcome. Her name is Donnie Brasco and yes she has a sidekick named Lefty.
the picture looks out of shape but the light colored egg was not what I expected from her. Thoughts?
Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Pretty Barred Rock there! What is her name? :)

Definintely stop by our learning center. Lots of great articles on all the aspects of keeping your birds healthy and happy... https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Last edited:
You will get the hang of BYC eventually. It can be daunting at first!

Are these two eggs from the same bird? If not, each bird will lay a slightly different colored egg. No too eggs are alike in color, size or shape. The color that is put on is called the "bloom". It protects the egg from bacteria and such from entering it. As long as you don't wash the egg, it protects itself.

The bloom is like a dye and if a hen lays every day, her egg color can lighten over time because she is running lower on dye. After a long stretch of not laying, say after a molt, the color can be quite strong.

If they lose the color completely, this can signal some sort of issue within the uterus or "shell gland". Shell glands can become defective as the bird ages.

But those look like some fine eggs!! :)

You will get the hang of BYC eventually. It can be daunting at first!

Are these two eggs from the same bird? If not, each bird will lay a slightly different colored egg. No too eggs are alike in color, size or shape. The color that is put on is called the "bloom". It protects the egg from bacteria and such from entering it. As long as you don't wash the egg, it protects itself. 

The bloom is like a dye and if a hen lays every day, her egg color can lighten over time because she is running lower on dye. After a long stretch of not laying, say after a molt, the color can be quite strong.

If they lose the color completely, this can signal some sort of issue within the uterus or "shell gland". Shell glands can become defective as the bird ages.

But those look like some fine eggs!! :)
[/quote

No they are from 2 different hens. The bigger darker is from what I've determined to be a gold sexlink who was the first to lay about a month ago. The lighter one is from the barred rock who also just started laying within the last month. The color just didn't seem to match with all I've read about them. I don't wash my eggs unless they are visibly dirty with poo or bedding which isn't happening so far. Wondered if they would get darker as her cycle matures.

Either of those colors could have come from a Barred Rock. Generally their eggs arent too dark, nor are they really pale. But the range of brown/beige is fairly wide. My BRs lay colors as you have here. One hen lays them dark and speckley! :)

Also, small eggs require less dye, so the color can be more rich. Larger eggs can be lighter, dispersing the same amount of dye over a larger area.

Back
Top Bottom