Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rojochicks, Apr 13, 2017.

1. rojochicks

rojochicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2017
    Hello,

We have had chickens for about 2 years now, just let a broody hatch her first set of baby chicks. Hatched a couple days ago and now I have questions as the internet isn't as forth coming about this situation as just raising them in a motherless brooder :) Although I have consulted discussion posts here several times in the last few years just never joined. Glad to be an official member!

We started with 6 chicks - 3 buff orpington and 3 Rhode Island reds, went out of town the second day we had them and our neighbor played a "joke" on us and added a golden sex link while we were gone! One of the Rhode Island reds was taken out by some sort of wild life when they were a year old taking us back to 6. The buffs have gone broody several times over the last two years and this spring we decided to take advantage and let her become a mother.

A friend brought us a dozen fertile eggs from another friend with a silver wyandotte rooster, so we put them under our broody girl and waited. She broke 1 and kicked another out of the nest which I just found the other day actually under some shavings. Out of those 8 had embryos when we candled and all 8 hatched as of Tuesday and Wednesday this week. Now come the questions....they are so cute, and I will start a new post for my questions.

2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2017
    Canada
    Hello rojochicks, [​IMG] Let the questions come! Everybody here at BYC loves to help! [​IMG]

3. CoopintheWoods

CoopintheWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Welcome to BYC!

4. HeavensHens88

HeavensHens88 Remembering the Forgotten Premium Member

Welcome to BYC, rojochicks!!! :welcome
    It's always great to meet a new member and fellow poultry enthusiast! :highfive:
    Sounds like you've already had a winding chicken adventure- congratulations on deciding to let a broody be a mother! :woot
    All of our birds are one, unanimously-beloved flock here on BYC and we can't wait to assist you in any way possible!
    :jumpy Wings of Wishes, :jumpy
    ~Sarah

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  6. [​IMG]congratulations on your hatch .

7. sassysarah123

sassysarah123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    WELCOME TO BACKYARD CHICKENS!

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under rojochicks [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Congratulations on your chicks. Good broodies are worth their weight in gold [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by