Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mskluck, May 1, 2017.

1. mskluck

mskluck Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2017
    Hi everyone!
    First off let me share with you all how I got the "chicken fever". My neighbor started his flock about 3 years ago. Their chickens used to somehow get over (or under) our stockaid fense and would periodically do some picinicking in my less then a half and acre. My husband and I are animals lovers and didn't mind having them visit. We would place them over the fence in the past and they were glad to go back home. We wouldnt see them from months on end since our neighbor secured their coop and yard. Lately there's this one particular barred rock that would visit; we sent her home before dusk and said goodnight. The very next morning wouldn't you know she came back. Well we played this game for a few weeks and then we decided that it wasn't worth the effort anymore.Plus we got attatched to her quickly and enjoyed her company's so much. That decision was primarily made by her due to the fact that we found 6 eggs under a roofed dog pen we once had. All that was left of that pen was a roof 4 polls and tarped on 3 sides to an opening that also includes our cellar door for easy acsess to let the dog out in the past. So we updated it and made a make shift coop for her for compfort to safely lodging for our guest. So that's how we contracted chicken fever.
    Once we got infected we started reading up on chickens, coops, feed and everything else we needed or wanted to know. This resulted in wanting our own flock since she was a "free agent" and not really ours to keep. This Saturday we are picking up 6 of our very own!!!! We are so excited. I'm 54 and have been an empty nester for 8 years time now..
    I think I have a good handle on raising chicks so far from all the great information I have learned here. It's awesome to know and join this site for which I'm sure I'll be asking for help. I'm very excited to "meet" you all and am glad I joined this flock.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC and thanks for your introduction. Keeping chickens is, for sure addictive. These links may be helpful:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. I really enjoyed your introduction. Would love to see your traveling hen. Sounds like she picked you as her next owner.

2 people like this.
  4. penny1960

penny1960 la la land awaits Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Welcome so very glad you found BYC [​IMG] post photo's of the babies if you wish once you
    have them chicken fever is a fun happy thing to most that catch it.
    look up your state thread by placing your state in the search again Welcome

5. mskluck

May 1, 2017
    Thank you

6. mskluck

May 1, 2017
    Thank you so much. I will take pictures very soon. Its never to early to start a baby book...lol

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under mskluck [​IMG] Welcome!

Tee hee, great introduction from you to us and from chickens to you by your visiting gal. Even though she is a free agent, did you give her a name?

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

8. penny1960

penny1960 la la land awaits Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA

9. mskluck

May 1, 2017
    Thank you. We call our girl Queenie.We figured that she left her flock for a kingdom of her very own [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. mskluck

May 1, 2017
    Okay folks. Tomorrow is a big day here for us in Palmer, MA. Going to be getting our 6 chicks!!! We're so excited! Will post pics asap.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by