Jackie FL

Chirping
May 20, 2017
We just moved to FL about 8 mos. ago from CT, and finally have our little 5 acre dream farm. We're new to having chickens and guineas, 4 each raised together since babies. At about 8 weeks we put them into the coop (not free ranging yet) and noticed one of the Rhode Island Reds is not quite right. She seemed fine when in the large box we used for them before being put into the coop, walking ok, but she was getting huge compared to the rest. She has a full red comb and waddles at 11 weeks while the other Rhode Islands comb is small and pale, no waddles, and her legs and feet are huge! She has a problem walking (I think it's because of her size?) so she is sitting most of the time which causes her feathers on her breast to be a mess because of the damp ground even though the coop has a sand floor. She eats and drinks but does it mostly laying down. We added a run to the coop and she goes waddling as fast as she can out into it as soon as I open the door and then lays down. I'm really worried about her and don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the group, unfortunately I can't address your issue, you may want to post on the forum for sick and injured... It may not be seen on the introduction page.
We are all glad your here, and there's many many helpful, knowledgeable people here I'm sure you'll get it sorted out. Good luck!

Welcome to the group, unfortunately I can't address your issue, you may want to post on the forum for sick and injured... It may not be seen on the introduction page.
We are all glad your here, and there's many many helpful, knowledgeable people here I'm sure you'll get it sorted out. Good luck!

Thank you so much I will try that!

Would you have a photo of her? She may be sick but, when you mention her size etc, I am wondering if she is a meat bird, instead of what you ordered. They grow fast, gain a lot of weight and their legs and organs give out.

First I want to thank you for answering my post. I will try to get a photo but I'm not very good getting around the site. I bought the 2 RIR at a local hardware store. I don't know where they get their birds from but a lot of the locals buy their birds from them. Also she wheezes when she pants the other don't. Been searching the internet but no help!

Back
Top Bottom