1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Saltyu, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Saltyu

Saltyu Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2017
    I've be lurking for a few weeks, and used some ideas found here to build my first quail hutch. My 5 week old quail hens arrived 3 weeks ago from a local farm and they seem like their new digs. I'm located on Long Island, NY. I have 2 kids who are (so far) exited to have the birds, and have been feeding, watering, and handling them daily. Decided to register with this site, as I'm sure I'll have some questions, which I will post in the Quail forum.

Anyway, good to be aboard.

-Sean Quail Hutch.jpg

TwoCrows likes this.
  2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    :welcome Nice pen:thumbsup

3. Saltyu

Saltyu Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2017
    Thanks!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Very nice! I keep Bobwhite Quail as well as chickens. Quail are fun little birds to keep, they sure have a lot of personality packed into such a tiny body! You might add some fake or real foliage to this pen? Quail are ground dwellers and love to spend their day lurking under brush and such. Some added foliage will keep them much more calm and feeling secure and it helps stop them from flushing upwards when they feel threatened.

Stop by our Quail Forums as well!! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/quail.48/

Welcome to our roost! :)

N F C likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Sean. Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock. I really don't know anything about quail. Do they usually stay in a rather open coop like yours or do they ever go in a covered run?? I would guess if free ranged they would go wild, or feed predators.

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Hi Sean, nice looking quail pen.

7. Saltyu

Saltyu Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2017
    Hi Diva!

Quail would love to forage in the open, but unfortunately, they would skedaddle, and/or quickly become hawk food. I tried releasing some on some acreage I have in upstate NY, and I never saw them again. I keep them in my hutch at most times, and I built a simple PVC and snow fence 4x4 run that sits on the ground to give them some foraging opportunities(and fertilize my grass) in my yard during the day on weekends. They love it. Outside of that, they are quite happy in their hutch with a dust bath and some stray bush clipping I throw in for cover.

8. Saltyu

Saltyu Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2017
    Hi Debby,

Looks good now, but I'm sure it will be covered in dirt and poo in a couple weeks. :) Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by