Colorado Chicka

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2017
HI our chickens are Rhode island's, they are 5 months old. We raised them from chicks. This is our first time. We have 7 hens and 2 roosters. They have just in the last couple of weeks started laying. A few days ago my husband was in the coop area and when he was closing the door thinks he might have caught one with the door or accidentally kicked her with his foot. Not sure what happened. He said that he looked down and she was just laying there. As soon as he touched her she jumped up. Ever since then she does not want to come out of the coop. We have been giving her food and water. She is very sweet. Today I made her go out with the others. I had to close the door to the coop to keep her out. She was not very happy and kept trying to get back in.
I am worried about her not getting enough exercise if I allow her to stay in the coop all the time. I am also worried if she is eating and drinking enough. Before this happened she loved being out in the run with the others. Any advise?

:welcome Thanks for joining! Does your chicken have any other symptoms? I don't think you need to worry about her not getting exercise,but there is something wrong with her if all she wants to do is be in the coop.

Hi and welcome to BYC:frow We're so happy you've joined us:ya How do the others treat her when she's in the run? It may be just a matter of keep doing what you're doing...

:welcome Thanks for joining! Does your chicken have any other symptoms? I don't think you need to worry about her not getting exercise,but there is something wrong with her if all she wants to do is be in the coop.
No, no other symptoms. She is just keeping to herself. She isn't eating as much as the others though. Along with the chicken feed I give them fresh vegetables every day. She isn't getting very much of those. If I put her out where the food and water is she will eat a little. It was cool the other morning so I made them some oatmeal with raisins. They LOVE raisins. I don't know if she is eating or getting water at any other time.

Hi and welcome to BYC:frow We're so happy you've joined us:ya How do the others treat her when she's in the run? It may be just a matter of keep doing what you're doing...
I really like this site. It is very helpful. I watched the others with her today. I really didn't notice them treating her any different. She did try to to herself. As soon as I opened the door to the coop she went right back inside. I think she might like the special attention that she is getting.

:welcome

Hope all is ok with your girl. Have you been able to thoroughly examine her to make sure she doesn't have any injury?

:welcome

Hope all is ok with your girl. Have you been able to thoroughly examine her to make sure she doesn't have any injury?
Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
We are glad you joined our flock.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Please check out and enter this current contest:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...contest-09-11-2017-pic-by-summerb123.1197988/
She moves ok and is comfortable with me picking her up. When I made her go out this morning she ran around. Them as soon as I opened the door to the coop she ran right back in. She is not sitting on eggs. She sits on the top of the perch. I have to keep the the coop open because they are laying during the day.

Back
Top Bottom