Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tach, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Tach

Tach In the Brooder

Dec 5, 2017
    hi everyone my name is natacha. I'm new to raising chickens. We (family and I) started this past summer. Our hens are just starting to lay eggs. Three out of 10 are. We're getting one blue/green egg and two different brown ones! Not sure what hens are laying what eggs yet haven't went into the coop at the right time! They are not laying every day. I'm assuming that's normal to start out if I'm wrong please do let me know! This is the first time raising laying hens. We keep any roosters that we got the same time for meat. In the spring time we would like to have some hatchlings but I need to learn about that first! Any tips are more than welcome. Not even sure what kind of birds we have at the moment. Oh I should mention that we do have ducks too. They should start laying too learning about them too!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Natacha and welcome to BYC. New layers are sporadic to begin with. Fewer daylight hours can also effect laying frequency.

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - Find Your State Thread

All the best

Pork Pie

Wickedchicken6, Tach, 007Sean and 5 others like this.
  3. Hope Hughes

Hope Hughes Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 1, 2017
    North FL
    My Coop
    Hello:frow
    Welcome to BYC!!
    So glad to have you here!!
    Thanks for sharing your story!!
    There are many people on here that are ready to help in anyway they can!
    The learning center also has alot of great information on it as well!
    Enjoy!:wee

4. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Billion $ Babies Premium Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Fl. Peninsula
    My Coop
    WELCOME ARROW SMILE.gif
    :goodpost:

5. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Crowing

Jun 14, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Welcome to BYC! Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do. :)

6. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Hi Natacha, it's nice to have you here with us. Congrats on getting those eggs! Some breeds will lay more often than others so don't expect them all to lay every day.

You can get help with identifying what breeds your chickens are by posting photos of them here:
    What Breed Or Gender is This?

Best wishes to you and thanks for joining us!

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Howdy! Welcome to the flock. Chickens don't lay eggs every day. Although we wish they would!

8. rjohns39

rjohns39 Enabler Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi Natacha and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya

9. Bridger Davis

Bridger Davis Songster

Jul 25, 2017
    Evans Colorado
    Hi there! I'm Bridger and it's good to have you here! You'll find that the byc members are like family! Feel free to ask me questions about chickens or ducks or if you want pro help, ask the experts.... Ex. Chickens really, Miss Lydia, Drumstick Diva, etc. You'll get to know them all!!

10. Welcome to BYC Natacha! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by