Tammy Harrow

Hatching
Feb 23, 2018
Hi fellow Chicken Mamas,

I just got a new batch of chicks.
A buff orpington, a lakenvelder, and a Minorca
I had silkies a couple of years ago but they contracted Mareks and died I'm hoping this crew will be heartier.

We live on a lake in St. Augustine (with the Intracoastal a couple of blocks away) so there are always several species of wild birds close by.

I also experienced mites last time. :(
I dusted my birds with d earth but it didn't seem to help

Im fairly new to chicken raising so Any advice is appreciated.

Hi fellow Chicken Mamas,

I just got a new batch of chicks.
A buff orpington, a lakenvelder, and a Minorca
I had silkies a couple of years ago but they contracted Mareks and died I'm hoping this crew will be heartier.

We live on a lake in St. Augustine (with the Intracoastal a couple of blocks away) so there are always several species of wild birds close by.

I also experienced mites last time. :(
I dusted my birds with d earth but it didn't seem to help

Im fairly new to chicken raising so Any advice is appreciated.
welcome-group.gif

Welcome to backyard chickens!

The current best method for mites is to use Elektor(spinosad).
DE does not kill mites and likely does not protect against them.

Monitor for mites and treat with Elektor following the package instructions

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

CURRENT COOP CONTEST click here >>#1

The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

Hi Tammy, welcome to the world of chicken lovers. Only joined a few days ago myself but have kept chickens for over four years and have a limited experience in comparison with other members.
I have had terrible experience with mites too, so understand your concern.
The best thing for a bad infestation is to take the house apart and spray every surface with mite dust or ready mixed liquid. I also used neat vinegar in a spray bottle - this has antibacterial qualities too. Let it dry, then reassemble the house. Dust again with DE powder and keep on with the spraying and powder every week until you see an improvement. Might take a few weeks to a month to get it under control. Also make sure you clean the house every week - remove all used straw, bedding and dust with powder. It's just a case of being vigilant and keeping on top of it. Squish mites with your thumb nail or knife blade as you go to kill the little critters as you go. Always put the waste bedding in a sealed plastic bag or burn it. Hope this helps, good luck. Annie

Greetings and welcome to BYC Tammy! So glad you joined us. Sorry your previous attempt at chickeneering went south on you. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. There are numerous discussions on mites and lice and dealing with that particular issue. (Typically, mites are almost microscopic, while lice are readily visible). You can search using either term or whatever subject you wish to look at. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

Oh, if you haven't done so already, PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. Old folks like me :old will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

G’Day from down under Tammy :frow Welcome and Congratulations! :clap

Chicken Sympathy.jpg

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has a Learning Centre and also Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. This one in particular may be of interest to you:
Topic of the Week - Lice and Mites - Prevention and Treatments

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom