copman020

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2018
Thanks for allowing me to join your group! I have no chickens right now but I have been thinking about getting a few for the eggs. I just know NOTHING about it and was just looking for some advice on what chickens are the best. I know that will be a touchy subject but I am looking for docile birds that lay a decent amount of eggs. I know noting about coop size, any info would be helpful. I have a large back yard and I am thinking about getting 10 birds. Is that a good start or too many? any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome to BYC

There's lots of things to consider when starting out with chickens.

This link may help
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ly-asked-questions-of-raising-chickens.62838/

Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Welcome aboard to BYC family gr8 people tons of information loads of fun enjoy shake your tail feathers
cartoon-chicken-free-clipart-1.jpg

:welcome

In addition to the helpful links Pork Pie Ken has supplied, I'd encourage you to think about a mixed flock. Getting a variety of breeds will help you learn which ones you like the most and help with future additions (and most likely, there will be future additions...chickens are like potato chips :D).

Make yourself at home here and always feel free to ask questions!

:welcome Keeping chickens isn't hard . it's really just get em and go to work . Coop construction is the most important thing . Predator proof is a must . And make sure to check local laws that govern how many you can have, In a residenicial area .I hope you got lots of friends, ten hens lay a lot of eggs during peak laying season.:fl

Planning for and eventually getting chickens is an exciting endeavor! First look into local ordinances, as they may outline or restrict how many chickens you can have in your location or on your size lot. Also consider your budget (or if you even have one) for coop construction/purchase and how much space your chickens will need. Both of these factors may impact your flock size.

Others have mentioned to consider starting smaller. One of the benefits to this is that you can add birds in pairs for a few years until you build up your flock. Now the age of your birds is staggered and as the first birds get older and start to decline in egg production, you will still have some that are a bit younger and at their peak. If you aren't maxed out on birds, down the line you might have the option of letting your chickens hatch some babies of their own and growing your flock that way. There are so many possibilities!

You could also visit a local feed store that sells chicks and see what breeds they typically carry and then start researching those breeds to see which sound like the best fit for you. I know my local feed store only purchases breeds that tend to do well in our climate, so it's nice to have someone to narrow down the options.

Back
Top Bottom