Ckosar

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2018
Stewartsville, NJ
Hi all! New member here and just wanted to say Hi and thank you for this site, I look forward to learning from all you!
I am a new to chickens. I have wanted chickens my whole life, and finally at the age of 48 I have the opportunity
We have 10 chicks..2 Buff Orpington, 2 Black Star, 2 Silver Laced, 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Barred Rocks.
My plan is to have a 8x6 coop with a 8x12 run, they will also have some free-range time (supervised). I have done much research, but I know, as with anything, true knowledge comes from real experience, super excited to watch these girls grow! Thanks again!

Pork Pie

Flockwit
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 30, 2015
Hello and welcome to BYC

Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

moniquem

Crowing
Feb 3, 2013
washington
Congratulations! I too just started my chickie venture, last week got 5 baby chicks. All is going well except for my SS, she is a lot smaller than the others but apparently they are slow to mature.
Good Luck! There is a ton of information on this site as well as really helpful advice from the more experienced members.

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Dec 12, 2013
Wyoming
:welcome

Congratulations on finally getting your own chicks! You have some nice breeds, I hope you enjoy them.

Make yourself at home here and if you have questions always feel free to ask...there are a lot of helpful, knowledgeable members here.

Thanks for joining us!

P.S. @moniquem I also found SS slow to mature but they will catch up...terrific birds!

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
Rule of thumb is 4-5 sq. feet per bird in the coop excluding roosts & nesting boxes.
For the outdoor run allow 10 sq.feet per bird - a sun cover is advisable to keep hawks, and climbing predators out - and keep chickens inside.

Top Bottom