Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ckosar, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Ckosar

Ckosar In the Brooder

Mar 28, 2018
    Stewartsville, NJ
    Hi all! New member here and just wanted to say Hi and thank you for this site, I look forward to learning from all you!
    I am a new to chickens. I have wanted chickens my whole life, and finally at the age of 48 I have the opportunity
    We have 10 chicks..2 Buff Orpington, 2 Black Star, 2 Silver Laced, 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Barred Rocks.
    My plan is to have a 8x6 coop with a 8x12 run, they will also have some free-range time (supervised). I have done much research, but I know, as with anything, true knowledge comes from real experience, super excited to watch these girls grow! Thanks again!

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC

Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

3. moniquem

moniquem Crowing

Feb 3, 2013
    washington
    Congratulations! I too just started my chickie venture, last week got 5 baby chicks. All is going well except for my SS, she is a lot smaller than the others but apparently they are slow to mature.
    Good Luck! There is a ton of information on this site as well as really helpful advice from the more experienced members.

4. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Congratulations on finally getting your own chicks! You have some nice breeds, I hope you enjoy them.

Make yourself at home here and if you have questions always feel free to ask...there are a lot of helpful, knowledgeable members here.

Thanks for joining us!

P.S. @moniquem I also found SS slow to mature but they will catch up...terrific birds!

5. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    007Sean and N F C like this.
  6. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy :yato have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

Joeschooks, drumstick diva and N F C like this.
  7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Rule of thumb is 4-5 sq. feet per bird in the coop excluding roosts & nesting boxes.
    For the outdoor run allow 10 sq.feet per bird - a sun cover is advisable to keep hawks, and climbing predators out - and keep chickens inside.

007Sean, Joeschooks and N F C like this.
  9. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Welcome to the flock! There’s so many helpful, knowledgeable folks here and I’m sure you’ll find this site a very useful resource. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do.

N F C and 007Sean like this.
  10. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Free Ranging

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    My Coop
    :welcome
    Enjoy your chicks :thumbsup

Joeschooks and 007Sean like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: