Ckosar

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2018
Stewartsville, NJ
Hi all! New member here and just wanted to say Hi and thank you for this site, I look forward to learning from all you!
I am a new to chickens. I have wanted chickens my whole life, and finally at the age of 48 I have the opportunity
We have 10 chicks..2 Buff Orpington, 2 Black Star, 2 Silver Laced, 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Barred Rocks.
My plan is to have a 8x6 coop with a 8x12 run, they will also have some free-range time (supervised). I have done much research, but I know, as with anything, true knowledge comes from real experience, super excited to watch these girls grow! Thanks again!

Congratulations! I too just started my chickie venture, last week got 5 baby chicks. All is going well except for my SS, she is a lot smaller than the others but apparently they are slow to mature.
Good Luck! There is a ton of information on this site as well as really helpful advice from the more experienced members.

Hello and welcome to BYC

Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

:welcome

Congratulations on finally getting your own chicks! You have some nice breeds, I hope you enjoy them.

Make yourself at home here and if you have questions always feel free to ask...there are a lot of helpful, knowledgeable members here.

Thanks for joining us!

P.S. @moniquem I also found SS slow to mature but they will catch up...terrific birds!

Rule of thumb is 4-5 sq. feet per bird in the coop excluding roosts & nesting boxes.
For the outdoor run allow 10 sq.feet per bird - a sun cover is advisable to keep hawks, and climbing predators out - and keep chickens inside.

Back
Top Bottom