HHH

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2018
OKC
I've been keeping chickens for about 5 years. Currently I have 30 chickens, half of which are Leghorns, both white and brown. The others are a mix of mostly Cinnamon Queens, a few Americanas, a Jersey Giant a Barred Plymouth Rock or two, one Black Sexlinks and one very busy Brown Leghorn Rooster. They are all watched over by their 3 year old Great Pyrenees protector named Brie.

FARMER-CONNIE-RAINBOW-.02.gif :frow

I've been keeping chickens for about 5 years. Currently I have 30 chickens, half of which are Leghorns, both white and brown. The others are a mix of mostly Cinnamon Queens, a few Americanas, a Jersey Giant a Barred Plymouth Rock or two, one Black Sexlinks and one very busy Brown Leghorn Rooster. They are all watched over by their 3 year old Great Pyrenees protector named Brie.

Hello! And I have a few questions about your GP. I have a almost 1year old male and a 5 month old female GP, and my male has killed my chickens and rabbits, has your ever done that and how did you train him to protect your flock?

And welcome! :welcome

Hi! Glad you joined the flock! Would be so lovely to see a picture of your flock and their protector.
I'll
Hello! And I have a few questions about your GP. I have a almost 1year old male and a 5 month old female GP, and my male has killed my chickens and rabbits, has your ever done that and how did you train him to protect your flock?

And welcome! :welcome
We originally got her to take care of our Fainting Goats. She did really well with the goats and after losing many chickens to coyotes and other predators decided to try her with chickens. She was probably around 1 1/2 years then and being kept in a portable electric mesh fence. I placed that, with her in it, very close to the coop door and observed how she reacted to chickens near her pen. She seemed indifferent to them so I then set the pen around the coop and did some controlled partial releases of the birds. She left them alone. Now she lives with them all time. I don't even shut the coop up any more. They come and go as they please and I haven't lost any since. A little over a year I think. She is just naturally protective of them. Not interested in them at all either.

Back
Top Bottom