Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mrsopoodles, Jan 19, 2019.

1. mrsopoodles

mrsopoodles In the Brooder

Jan 19, 2019
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    I just joined up and hope to exchange ideas and gain wisdom from those who have been into chickens for a long time Also, if I have a health concerns with one of my birds, I hope to get some healing ideas.
    I live outside of Grants Pass, Oregon on a few acres in the woods with my husband. We are seniors, retired and I have lived here for 45 years, my husband was raised on the property that we live on.

We've bred and raised Standard Poodles for over 25 years (we are not show people)...and have been raising Goldendoodles and Labradoodles for the last 10 years. The best of our best Poodles are the Poodle part of our Doodles.
    We also have 3 Mini horses...just because we love the smell and the sounds of horses and love to pet them. They act more like dogs than horses, and we love them.

New to us (this time around) are 12 guinea fowl, 5 young adult turkeys and 11 chickens.
    We got our first egg yesterday! Yippee!
    We've had chickens off and on over the years, but bird dogs and poultry don't mix well unless you really have it together...which we haven't until recently.

The turkeys fly up in an oak tree above my room to roost...(very smart thing to do).
    The Guineas are being trained for my garden and they live in a nice new guinea house with a covered pen. I just let out a few at a time, so they won't wander too far and forget where home is.
    I'm really obsessed with those "chocolate eggs", so I have some Marans that are just 4 months old now, 2 Black Copper pullets and a rooster, 2 Cuckoo pullets, and 2 Blue Splash pullets...my favorites because they are so cuddly. And I also have one Delaware pullet (just because they are so pretty), and because I've heard that they aren't so light sensitive and might lay during the winter months. I got this bunch from Meyers Hatchery, which is a new thing for me and It was really fun! I'll do it again! I've always got my chicks from the feed store or from a friend or neighbor.
    I have 2 Javas...a pullets and a rooster...from a neighbor. Beautiful...black through and through...even black combs! They are about 6 months old and she gave us our first egg yesterday! She likes to be picked up too.

About turkeys...I have 4 Tom's and one hen...from the same hatch. Dad was a Royal Palm and Mom was a Blue (something)..both Heritage Turkeys.
    I really need to sell some of them because the Toms are posturing now and will be fighting soon.
    Does anyone know what a fair asking price would be? They have been raised free range and organically supplemented. Does $25 to $30 sound reasonable? I'm new to this side of poultry.
    Hope to have some good conversations with some of you...
    Marcia IMG_20181210_111320_kindlephoto-514554594.jpg

2. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Great Intro! Welcome to our FUNomenal community! Best wishes and have lots of fun! :ya

3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Did you candle today?

Welcome to BYC.
    :yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

5. KLIL

KLIL Crossing the Road

Jul 4, 2018
    Queensland, Australia
  6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word!

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Congrats on those first eggs!

I don't know anything about Turkeys however you might stop by our Turkeys section for more help from the experts... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/turkeys.20/

Good luck and welcome to our roost! :)

7. Brahmachicken240

Brahmachicken240 Free Ranging

Dec 26, 2018
    Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC :frow:welcome
    C36769BB-5D7F-4410-B620-B90EEC4D4536.jpeg

8. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

9. N F C

N F C Poo happens, move on

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Congrats on getting that first egg! The girl in your picture is a beauty, thanks for sharing a picture.

@TwoCrows has given you a great link to find out about the turkeys, best of luck with the birds.

Thanks for joining us!

10. cassie123

cassie123 Crowing

Jun 13, 2017
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: