Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NvWilderness, Mar 1, 2019.

1. NvWilderness

NvWilderness In the Brooder

Jan 31, 2018
    Hi. Looking forward to learning about chicken keeping and having fun doing it. We bought our 'retirement' home late last spring (40 acres) in a very rural area. We are lucky enough that there was already a chicken coop on the property. However it's not very big (4x8) and no run. We don't have any chickens yet - but hoping to this spring and want to get set up first.

I grew up on a small ranch and we never had chickens - but my grandparents did. My dad had to butcher the chickens when he was a kid and he has never liked chickens since then - hence we didn't have any growing up. So I grew up with cows, goats, cats, dogs, horses - pretty much anything with 4 legs. But my husband has only ever had cats. He was an Army brat and then career Navy himself so the life never accommodated much in the way of raising animals. So - huge learning curve here. And boy do we have questions.

We currently have 3 indoor kitties and I want to get a dog or 2. Hubby's not sure about the dog part - he's never had one and I've had them all my life except for recently. I think we desperately need a couple living in the rural area we do.

2. Meg-in-MT

Meg-in-MT Crossing the Road

Jan 29, 2018
    SW Montana
    Hello! Welcome to BYC!! :frow

Good luck on your new adventure! I have three dogs: a Newfoundland, St. Bernard and a blue healer. What breeds are you interested in? Dogs and chickens?? :)

Feel free to check out the links below for some interesting reading.

3. Welcome to the flock! :woot :celebrate :jumpy

4. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! You could start out with a small flock with that size of coop and adding a nice attached safe run for them. You could always build a bigger coop and run later on, if you decide that you want to have more chicken's.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I am not a cat person though I can understand people loving them . I have been a dog lover as far back as I can recall. Many years ago I used to show and breed , and groom dogs. There are a great many dog fanciers on BYC and professionals in their field. If you need support and good reasons to have the dogs - you will certainly get them here.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens, the pulse beat of the chicken community :frow

7. Brahmachicken240

Brahmachicken240 Crossing the Road

Dec 26, 2018
    Ireland
    Welcome to BYC :frow:welcome
    7386641B-E093-413F-9F4A-8684A1A8B107.jpeg

8. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

9. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    F690C853-A172-46FD-A875-4058D564414C.jpeg
    Welcome to BYC!​

penny1960, fldiver97, 007Sean and 7 others like this.
  10. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Definitely need a dog. Maybe a non-herding/sporting breed that is raised with the chicks so it respects them and views them more as his/her pack than a squeaky toy would work well.
    If you make a large (I went with closer to 20 sq ft per bird than the minimum 10) attached and properly secured covered run, you could have a dozen birds in your coop if it had bump out nest boxes. That is the size coop I have and I have 11 birds. However, I hope your coop is walk-in style.
    Good luck starting your new flock with canine extension.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: