Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Maudie, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Maudie

Maudie Chirping

Nov 9, 2019
    I inherited some chickens from granddaughters project. I feed them scratch mixed with layena and oyster shell but read that scratch is insufficient to fee my chickens. I have 5,a rooster and 4 hens all approximately 1 1/2 years old. We have 3 acres and they pretty well free range but want to know what kind of feed to feed them. I am 78 and still garden some so they really enjoyed my tomato plants. I used to do rescues taking in and fostering dogs and cats but it got too much as I am
    "getting" older. Still have 3 dogs and multiple cats that call this place home. They as well as the chickens all get along really well especially since the 4 legged one fear the fly swatter. Any help you can give me on the correct feed would be appreciated. They were laying eggs regularly until this last cold snap.

2. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good morning, and welcome to BYC. Laying feed ad lib and a bit of scratch on the side should do the trick. Given that they free range they have probably been able to pretty much balance out their dietary needs. At 1.5 years of age they have most likely just molted and are also being impacted by the shortening day length. It is not at all unusual for them to take a break in their laying cycle.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Raven steals the Sun

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

We are super egg-cited you decided to join us! Make yourself at home here and welcome to our roost. :)

5. Maudie

Maudie Chirping

Nov 9, 2019
    Thank you so much

6. TheChiggens

TheChiggens ~Keep Clucking!

Jul 7, 2019
    Maine
    My Coop
    Hi welcome to BYC so happy so happy you joined!

7. Maudie

Maudie Chirping

Nov 9, 2019
    thank you so much..makes me feel better. I was worried that I had done something to upset their dietary need. A wonderful site to get answers.

8. Maudie

Maudie Chirping

Nov 9, 2019
    Thank you. I have been going to it for information for several months and just decided to go ahead and join.

9. Maudie

Maudie Chirping

Nov 9, 2019
    Thank you

10. Maudie

Maudie Chirping

Nov 9, 2019
    Thank you. needed to know I haven't done something I shouldn't with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: