Chicapoo

In the Brooder
May 6, 2021
Michigan
New member and new chick mom here! Wasn't expecting to become a new mom but I'm loving it!..
So the story is, that we were going to the barn one afternoon and poof, a chicken just appeared lol. Really, we dont know where it came from. Our neighbors dont have any. She left after awhile but was back the next day. She hasn't left since, that was 3 wks or so ago. She lives in our barn ( mechanic barn not animal) and doesn't wanna leave. Like I cant get her out. I think shes young, maybe 10 wks by some pitures we've looked at.? We just got done building her a coop, and shes kinda checking it out (we built it in the barn, she has no care about noises). Shes getting more friendly with me and I dont wanna scare her but I feel she really needs to be outside more. Should I wrangle her in the coop or let her take her time? I've been bringing shovelfuls of earth,weeds from my garden and I even dried out some sand on the wood stove so she could bath. 🤗
Anyhoo, my questions are..
Should I male her leave the bar? I feel we're her flock now. We're always in the barn working.
If so, should we get her friends? I've been looking tbh, all I can find is new chicks and I read the dont mix well. And lastly, for now anyways 😂
Can you tell me what kind she is? Welsummer or old English game fowl maybe? I think she might she a bantam also from what I read... whew, that was alot for my first post sorry. Thanks in advance guys! Any pointers would be much appreciated also. Good day y'all

Attachments

• 20210421_222202.jpg
    20210421_222202.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 15
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
She's older than 10 weeks.
If you plan on keeping her, I'd get her a couple of friends. That will get her to go outside.
They feel more comfortable in a flock. She is staying with you because you are now her flock and as you've written, you stay in the barn!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
She's older than 10 weeks.
If you plan on keeping her, I'd get her a couple of friends. That will get her to go outside.
They feel more comfortable in a flock. She is staying with you because you are now her flock and as you've written, you stay in the barn!
That's what I was afraid of. It too use longer then anticipated to build her coop. I can find older hens to get her friends. They're all newbies

Back
Top Bottom