1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sekinkead, Oct 18, 2009.

1. sekinkead

sekinkead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I am new to chickens, but have been lurking on this site for a few weeks. This year my kids decided to try chickens for their 4-H project. So we had 25 cornish cross chickens that the kids raised and showed, and that we then got butchered. Well, the kids missed the chickens so we got some layers from a guy on Craigslist in early September.

I probably should have done some more homework before I just went out and got some, but so far they are all healthy and happy and giving me about 4 eggs a day. The kids picked out 4 cochin bantams and then 6 full size chickens. As soon as I figure out how to post pics I am going to do that so you all can help me figure out what they are.

Now that we have done some more research the kids (and I) have decided we want to raise Buckeye's. We live in the Buckeye state, the breed was developed here, and is critically endangered. So that is my story so far. I am sure there will be more.

2. KittyKelly

KittyKelly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    Posting pics is easy. I would suggest using PhotoBucket.com to upload. After you upload there is an easy IMG tag you can copy and paste to your threads:)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Hello and welcome! [​IMG]

I love your story about how you have gotten into chickens! I can't wait to see pics of them. [​IMG]

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    [​IMG]
    Glad you found us.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from washington

Imp

7. sekinkead

sekinkead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    So I figured out the picture thing. Here are some pictures of my chickens. Can anyone help me in identifying them? Thanks to everyone! I do know that I have 2 splash, 1 black, and a blue cochin. It's the rest I'm not sure about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Happy to meet you! Glad you're here! [​IMG] Hope you enjoy your stay with us!! [​IMG]

I'm planning on getting some Buckeyes too! I live near Warren where they were first bred so it seems right. Glad you found BYC.

9. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Welcome to BYC from Western Washington. [​IMG]

10. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] Glad you joined us! What a cute flock you have!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by