Bacon and eggs

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 7, 2010
western washington
Hi
I am new to this so bear with me.. I have 10 buff ophingtons that I got in july as six month olds. I have two pigs that are about to become bacon and two dogs. I have been having proplems with one of my chickens. She is very broody. I locked her in time out and that did nothing. She liked it. I have tried dunking in cool water and whe stay out for a while but then right back to the nesting box. Does any body have any ideas. No rooster so no little ones. thanks
smile.png

bockbock2008

Why do they call me crazy??
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
Southwest Indiana
First of all
welcome-byc.gif
from southern Indiana.

As far as the broodiness, you'll have to wait for someone with more experience of "un broody-izing" them
big_smile.png
I usually have enough eggs that need to be hatched that I just let them sit. I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you some advice.

Backyard Hencam

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 27, 2009
California Central Coast
I've been through this with a barred rock and a silver-laced wyandotte but my buff orpington remains "broodliless". After much research, these are the "cures" I found. Isolate them in a wire pen for several days with air circulation from beneath. Evidently, they continue to brood when their temperature is kept high by a warm nest. I've heard that dunking them in water cools them, but I wouldn't take the chance of them getting sick from a chill.

We reduced the time of broodiness by: taking them off the nest and putting them on a roost at night. After a few days of doing this, I began blocking the nest boxes when I thought all the hens were finished for the day. The frustrated broody hens would go to the roost with the others and I would open the next boxes in the morning. On the roost, they are chilling for 10 hours. Also, I took them off the nest several times a day so that they would eat and drink.

When we did nothing, the hen was broody for 22 days. When we did the above, it lasted from 6-8 days.
Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Imp

All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle
11 Years
Sep 7, 2008
The Emerald City
My Coop
My Coop
Welcome from an imp in Renton.

Check out the Washingtonians thread in the Where are you forum. Lots of nice people there.

I had success with breaking broodiness by taking her off the nest several times a day and putting her out of the coop. I don't think she was seriously broody. It was too easy.
roll.png

Imp

Top Bottom