Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mike n deb, Jun 11, 2011.

1. mike n deb

mike n deb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    hello fellow members we purchased our 4 already laying chickens from a rescue farm outside of Deland, Fla.
    We built a 3 teired box coup 4ft x 2ft deep x 3.5ft tall inside a 12ft sq pen, we started feeding them w/ quality feed for layers and a good supply of clean water and gave them greens and other scraps. It took about 3 wks before they started laying eggs and slowly worked up to 3 or 4 eggs a day they kept this pace for about 10 wks then suddenly two of them went on strike and stay in the coop all the time while the dominant one hardly going in the coop at all and the other one spends more time out then in the coop and they are only giving 1 egg a day if that. This has been going on for 2 wks now the two hens that stay in the coop have to be phisicaly forced to leave the coop and get agressive. Can anyone shed some light on our problem Thanks Mike n Deb

2. LivingRootsFarm

LivingRootsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Samsula
    Sorry can't help with the problem...however I am located in Samsula and was wondering were the rescue farm was that you got your hens from. I have some 8 week our chicks but would like to find some that are already laying. Thanks

3. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    You could try giving them a little cayenne pepper in their feed, believe it's a tablespoon per lb. It really helps encourage sluggish layers. [​IMG]

4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Forgot! [​IMG] from western pa.

5. HatchingFever

HatchingFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Welcome From Sunny San Dieago CA [​IMG]

6. BlakesFarm

BlakesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Upstate SC
    [​IMG]

7. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

9. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] sounds to me you got you a couple broody hens and as far as the others a broody hen can be pretty assertive about who uses the nest [​IMG]

10. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by