1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tarheelnm, Jun 23, 2011.

1. tarheelnm

tarheelnm New Egg

Jun 23, 2011
    I have a flock of 15 chicken pets here in the desert of southern New Mexico. Right now it's 105 and hard to keep the girls cool. Since I live back of beyond, does anyone have an online site for ordering some of this stuff like Waxine, VetRx, and Poultry Protector? My flock is all healthy, but yesterday I adopted a chicken that was hanging around a neighbor's yard. It has lost about 3/4ths of its feathers on the neck, back and wings, but otherwise seems strong and is now eating well. I have her separated from the other chickens, but wonder if anyone could suggest some meds or supplements that might help. The girls are fed 20% pellets, a little scratch, and lots of fresh food including fruit, veggies, greens, flax seed, oatmeal, etc. I'm hoping the feather loss is due to stress, heat, roosters and/or malnutrition, but any advice would be appreciated.
    Lynn in NM

2. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    Can you not get those from Tractor Supply? Or is it by perscription only???

[​IMG]

You will love it here!

3. tarheelnm

tarheelnm New Egg

Jun 23, 2011
    Thanks for your reply. I suppose there could be a Tractor Supply in El Paso, but it's a 150 mile round trip, and I don't get there often. That's why I thought an online place would be helpful in my case. Haven't hit on anything yet.

4. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
  5. Deweydoodledo

Deweydoodledo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Puyallup Valley
  6. Deweydoodledo

Deweydoodledo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Puyallup Valley
    I know you can buy VerRx at Amazon.com too.

7. ck-newbe

ck-newbe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Boone, NC
    I like mypetchicken.com

8. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Lynn--- Welcome!

Here is a link to a vet supply I use....they are very good....

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/search.asp?camid=LIV&ss=vetrx&search-submit=GO

That is the VetRx page---but there are pages of good 'stuff'.

El Paso is a long way to go.... Where ever you buy your feed (hopefully pretty close to home) may also have supplies--sometimes I see something in the vet catalog, purchase it and at a later time---I see it in the local feed store. We also live pretty far from 'civilization' and I love being able to get things via the internet.

You are smart too to have things on hand. Good luck with the adopted chicken...she's lucky to have found a good home

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by