Silver63

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 29, 2011
Greetings BYC members - Found you through Facebook and the Chicken Whisperer. I have a cochin rooster ( Penguin) and a red sex link hen (Red). I had a porcelain colored bantam hen named Silver. She passed away in June.
I have a question for everyone here. Currently my coop is housed in a garage in a box type shelter. It's been great - during the nice weather I open both ends up and during the winter, I store hay in there, use a heat lamp and it's nice and warm. My sister is hounding me to move the coop into an old barn on the property - problem is she has stored all the lawn mowers in there, and she does 'crafts' in there which involves her using spray paint, stains etc......
I can smell the gas from the vehicles when I go in there and I can smell the fumes from the paint. I lost Silver to a teflon pan incident. Silver came to us with and upside down left leg and she lived in our apartment with us.
My husband accidentally left the pan on a burner on low heat, but it was long enough for it to 'gas' out. A vet diagnosed poor Silver and said there was nothing that could done. She passed in my hands.
Sorry to ramble about that - anyway now I'm paranoid about fumes. I do not want to move them into the barn where ventilation isn't very good. Should I be concerned about this or am I overreacting? Thanks!
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

So sorry for your loss of Silver!
hugs.gif

I do not think you are over reacting, if that had happened to one of my chickens I would not want to risk it either, I am no expert but your just looking out for your chickens. What is the problem with the garage area coop you have been using?

I'm sorry for your loss
sad.png
I don't think you're overreacting...I don't think I would move my feathered buddies. Is there any way to maybe add windows or something to "air out" the barn and keep it well ventilated?
I'm just a beginner but I'm sure the experienced peeps here will be able to give you a definite answer. Good luck!

Thanks for the welcome everyone & the suggestions.
My sister has decided she no longer wants the garage in a box shed in the yard. It's in the way of her digging up the grass for some kind of garden. There really isn't a good spot to move it on the property either.
The barn recently had new windows put in it and for some reason it seems like it's sealed up tight and heaven forbid I open any of the windows because it may ruin something of hers. This is my mothers property, but my sister thinks she owns it.
sad.png
She's also a know it all which makes getting her to understand things very difficult.

Quote:
Well that sucks, puts you in quite a pickle, so sorry. Is the shed run down looking or something, is that why she doesn't wnt it or just the garden? Because we took a run down shed in our backyard and turned it into a pretty awesome looking coop, it was an eye sore before but not looks great, I can post some pics if you'de like. Hope it all works our for ytou!

Nope, the shed is in great shape. She's just a control freak who wants to be able to tell me what to do with my animals. I also have 4 horses.
Would love to see a picture of your shed. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom