New member.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by alexi, Nov 26, 2011.

1. alexi

alexi New Egg

Nov 26, 2011
    So I just started raising chickens this spring. I moved onto my in-laws farm and decided me, my wife and my step-son should have some chickens. Both for fresh eggs and some meat, as well as responsibilities for my over active 9 year old little boy. Was I mistaken when I thought he would help take care of them!!!!!

Currently I/we have 2 Blue andalusians, 1 rooster, 1 hen, 2 buff orpingtons, 2 ameracuna (sp?) (ie the easter egg chickens) and 4 barred rocks. 2 of the barred rocks and the 2 ameracunas are fall chicks so they aren't full grown yet.

I was surfing the net looking for some information on general chicken issues, trying to play catch-up. I was raised as a "city" kid. My mother was a farmer's daughter and she didnt want my brother and I to be "that type". Well.....I now have chickens, rabbits and ducks and my 2 dogs.

I try to spend some time each week outdoors with the family, not doing farm work. The biggest thing I have been doing lately is teaching the youngest of our 2 dogs that no, that chicken walking out of it's coop is NOT fair game, you cant chase it!! I have gotten the older one to mostly leave them alone. The older dog is just under 2 and the younger is 18months or so. Both big dogs, one a dane/collie mix and one a newfie mastif mix (i think)

Thanks.
    J
    newberg or

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

4. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    [​IMG] from Mo

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well hey there, welcome to my presence.

Rancher Hicks.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

7. snipercp

snipercp Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Nottingham
    [​IMG]

8. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    [​IMG] from Twentynine Palms in the California high desert. You'll find lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who are always ready to help. Enjoy!

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

10. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by