wyk-chick

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 9, 2012
Hello,
I just joined BYC after "lurking" for a while. My husband and I started our flock back last May after reading about all the great ideas on this forum. We got 6 Anconas and thing were great for about 3 months until Mr Bear came visiting one morning. Unfortunately we lost all six chickens. We immediately reinforced the coop and went out to get 6 new chicks - 3 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Plymouth White Rock. The girls are now about 22 weeks old and just starting to lay.

Kevin565

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
WelcometoBYC.gif

theoldchick

The Chicken Whisperer
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 11, 2010
frow.gif

A bear ate your chickens? What kind of changes did you make to bear-proof your chicken coop?

wyk-chick

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 9, 2012
The coop door was secured by just a small piece of wood. My husband put an additional piece of wood horizontally across the bottom of the inside of coop door to make sure that no predator will get a paw underneath for leverage. The small piece of wood to close the door was replaced by 2 barrel locks. Also, two hook style locks now secure the nesting box and additional heavy wiring through the mesh of the tractor/run. If any new large predetors show up, we are ready to install an electric fence around the entire coop area.

Top Bottom