Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by debbienc, Jan 20, 2012.

1. debbienc

debbienc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    Hi. I am Debbie from N.C. I have Rhode Island Red chickens and one rooster. We did have 4 roosters, but I heard that the chickens won't lay eggs if there is more than one rooster, so we gave the other roosters away. I wish I had kept that last rooster we gave away, because from looking at these posts, having more than one rooster doesn't matter. Oh well, live and learn. We have had our chickens since the spring, but no eggs yet. We lost a few while they were younger to a possum I think. Anyways we had a trap put outside and there was a possum in it, and since then we haven't had any more chicken to go missing.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! So glad you found us!!

... and glad you got the possum too!

3. debbienc

debbienc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    Thanks, I glad we got it too. Nice to meet you.

4. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Welcome to BYC Debbie,
    Good thing you got that possum. No room for little pests like that around the chickens.
    How do you like those Rhode Island Reds? We had a few when I was a kid. Calmest sweetest hens but our rooster was a little testy. Anyways.... Glad your'e here on byc!
    Gamelife

5. greatchicken

greatchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Michigan
    :welcome from Michigan. Glad you joined us. We have a few RIR in our flock. We had to remove our RIR roo because he was becoming mean.

6. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

7. CountryRoosterUSA

CountryRoosterUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

8. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

9. 3GChicks

3GChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2012
    [​IMG] from Maryland. We are new to BYC as well. We are brand new to the chicken world, we have 3 silkie bantam chicks Lulu a porcelain, Buttercup a splash and Pip a cuckoo.
    We have the chicks inside because they are only 6 weeks old, while my husband builds their coop I am trying to protect the backyard. I think our biggest threats will be stray cats and red tailed hawks.

10. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    [​IMG] from Kentucky! I think you'll like it here - its a great place to learn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by