debbienc

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 20, 2012
Hi. I am Debbie from N.C. I have Rhode Island Red chickens and one rooster. We did have 4 roosters, but I heard that the chickens won't lay eggs if there is more than one rooster, so we gave the other roosters away. I wish I had kept that last rooster we gave away, because from looking at these posts, having more than one rooster doesn't matter. Oh well, live and learn. We have had our chickens since the spring, but no eggs yet. We lost a few while they were younger to a possum I think. Anyways we had a trap put outside and there was a possum in it, and since then we haven't had any more chicken to go missing.

Welcome to BYC Debbie,
Good thing you got that possum. No room for little pests like that around the chickens.
How do you like those Rhode Island Reds? We had a few when I was a kid. Calmest sweetest hens but our rooster was a little testy. Anyways.... Glad your'e here on byc!
Gamelife

welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio

welcome-byc.gif
from Maryland. We are new to BYC as well. We are brand new to the chicken world, we have 3 silkie bantam chicks Lulu a porcelain, Buttercup a splash and Pip a cuckoo.
We have the chicks inside because they are only 6 weeks old, while my husband builds their coop I am trying to protect the backyard. I think our biggest threats will be stray cats and red tailed hawks.

Back
Top Bottom