Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jayjay, Mar 11, 2012.

1. jayjay

jayjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Hello everyone,

My name is Jay, a woman in need of information and i am new to chickens and ducks. I am from the UK and have joined to get some much needed information and help from people who keep ducks and chickens. My venture is very new and I am learning quite a bit but there is still a lot I do now know so am hoping someone can help with this.

For example I have 2 pair of ducks. 1 is has been sitting on her eggs for about a week. Do i separate mum and eggs from the others? If i do this it leaves 1 female with 2 drakes and i am concerned.

Thank you

2. WELCOME FROM THE FREEZING DEPTHS OF ALASKA [​IMG]

Im not a duckie expert but I would say (just from chicken experince) SEPERATE HER!

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Welcome from the soggy side of Washington State. My DH's parents emigrated from the UK back 1960. There is a group of members that are all living in the UK.

4. jayjay

Mar 11, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Thank you for your help. Its good to know i'm not alone. Apart from the ducks I also have 3 speckled Maran and 3 suffolks 2 white and 1 black chickens so this is going to be a hurge learning experience for me and i look forward to reading all posts.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Southwest Ohio....glad you joined us

7. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!
    [​IMG]

8. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC!

I would separate them. There's no telling what the drakes would do to the eggs. You should keep the drakes in a pen until the eggs hatch. That way you don't have to move the mother and cause more stress.

9. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    Congratulations for your Momma duck! And welcome to BYC all the way across the Atlantic from Maryland, USA.

10. jayjay

Mar 11, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Thanks, i was thinking of seperating them but i am not sure if i should just take both drakes out and leave the other female in there. I am concerned if i put the 2 drakes on their own, will they begin to fight but then again if i put the other hen in there she will be exhausted with 2 drakes. What do you think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by