craftyfarmer

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 20, 2012
smile.png
Hello. My name is Laurie, and I am looking to learn more about raising chickens, how to find, all the stuff that goes with chickens, I hope you can help? Nice to be here.
Laurie Cortez

Thanks for the welcome nice to meet all. I have been wanting do have some chicken's for eggs for awhile now, for a beginner what is the best type of chicken and do I start with baby chicks? also how do you cook the eggs for hard boiled with out losing the whole egg? thanks every one.

Welcome Laurie !!! I Think you will Love this site Lots of Great Information.. If you Start with Chicks you will have to have a heat light at the Right temperatures for the chicks and feed them Chicken starter.. . If you are Anxious for those eggs you May want to buy some Mature Hens .. Or you will me waiting a few months before they start laying : ) There are several Types of Chickens and a nice Breed section at BYC .. It really is personal choice, depending on the Color Egg you want the size Chicken how often you are hoping they will Lay etc.. As Far as boiling an Egg lol, I just boil them until I see one crack .. Not very professional.. And I let them cool and peel them under Cold running water ; )
yippiechickie.gif

I am new and started with chicks. I see the chickens as pets with benefits, so it is important to me that they are friendly and tame. It's hard to be sure of that if you get them when they are older. It was really fun to have the chicks in the house, and have plenty of time to research about what to expect when they moved outside and got older. You will also have more time to plan your coop if you start with chicks.

And chicks are ADORABLE! I vote go for the chicks!!

Hi Laurie and welcome, I too am a new member and raising my first flock for about a month now. This site has been invaluable to me. They have solved problems like getting my girls (the older ones) to go in the coop on their own at night...and training them to respond with mealworms. I got them for the eggs but now I see why people have chickens, they are their own comedy team...who needs TV!

Good luck and welcome,
Rivka

Back
Top Bottom