Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by foghorn86, Nov 29, 2012.

1. foghorn86

foghorn86 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2012
    N. Texas
    Hello.
    I am a new chicken owner. I bought 7 (supposed) hens off of a vet/farmer in my area. I am going on my third week with them. I love it and am already wanting more.
    I already need help from the community though. I was told they are all young hens and should start laying very soon. I got my first egg 4 days ago and got a couple more from the same hen in the following days, but the rest of the hens have not started laying yet.
    I know i am just anxious, but i believe i might have at least one rooster. I was wondering if i could post pictures of the three chickens i believe might me roos, and you guys could help me decide.

Thanks and have a blessed day!

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Hi welcome to BYC.....glad u joined
    Yes, go ahead and post some pics of the chickens in question....we'll be happy to help u guess.

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG]
    I think you have to have 10 posts before posting pics. So jump in a few conversations, or ask any other questions you might have and you'll be posting pics in no time.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, foghorn86, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here. Yes, when you get 10 posts you can post pics. I'd advise posting them over in the What Breed or Gender is This thread - you might get more responses! Best of luck to you!!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] At this time of the year the days are shorter and lots of hens take time off and stop laying. that my be why you are not getting more eggs. But do post some pics so we can have a look.

6. foghorn86

foghorn86 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2012
    N. Texas
    i have a heat/light lamp in the coop that gives them 15 hours of sun/artificial light total for the day.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by