Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Charlotte Anne, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Charlotte Anne

Charlotte Anne Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2012
    Just wanted to share my pictures on the building of our coop.
    Hi my name is Charlotte. I live in Hagersville, Ontario. My husband and I divided a shed in half to build a chicken coop. It's about 8 x 10. We insulated it with R22 Roxul insulation, then stapled plastic over the insulation. Then used partial board for the walls and painted them. We went to a discount flooring place and bought a piece of roll out laminate flooring for $30. It makes for cleaning the floor really easy and looks good too. We placed to flooring vents in the walls for air circulation. We have a very large prexiglas window from a hockey arena as well. An old door was acquired from an abandoned farmhouse. We presently have a 60 watt light on a timer for longer daylight. We originally had a 100 watt heat lamp, but I found the coop was still too cool. We put a 250 watt heat lamp and this works better. Last week I went out to the co-op and got a heated plastic water dispenser. It holds 3 gallons of water and the base has a heater in it that comes on at 35 degrees to keep the water warm. I feed a 18% layer pellet and lots of treats. Spaghetti, baked potatoes, sour cream, yogurt, bananas, kale, rice, raisins, broccoli, cauliflower, rice krispies, etc. Pretty much everything we eat I give the hens. So far, touch wood I get my 6 eggs a day from my 6 Rhode Island Reds.

Charlotte

Charlotte
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Nice coop!

3. Charlotte Anne

Dec 13, 2012
    Thanks! The 2 boards attached to the wall are for a staircase. That's what we attached the perches too. They are hinged and attach to the ceiling when you need to clean the floor.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Charlotte Anne, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Sounds like you folks are great chicken parents and your birds are living large in your care!! Best of luck to you - great looking coop!!

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Charlotte Anne

Dec 13, 2012
    Thanks. We did go overboard on the coop. Install a 60 watt bulb on a timer for extra daylight hours, 250 watt heat lamp and a 3 gallon heated water dispenser. I would say this coop is just short of being called a spa now. lol.

Oh by the way, I live in Ontario, Canada but I am originally from Scottsdale, Arizona. I sure do miss that heat, but living here you definitely get to experience all 4 seasons. Thanks again for the compliment.

Charlotte

8. Charlotte Anne

Dec 13, 2012
    Thank you

9. Charlotte Anne

Dec 13, 2012
    I lost touch a long time ago with a very good friend living in Kansas. Kansas is very beautiful.

Charlotte

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by