Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by flybyedandy, Mar 11, 2013.

1. flybyedandy

flybyedandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Well I'd like to tell you all about our chicken experience. We live in the country on about 26 acres have a nice coop 12x14 that came with the house when we moved in 15 yrs ago and filled it up with a lot of our junk. a few years ago we decided to take the plunge and clean it out and buy some pullets at the urging of some of our friends.

Being out in the country we figured to have problems with predators but the only chickens we've lost were due to neighbor dogs and one of our own dogs who is no longer with us.

We have about 21 chickens 3 of which are roosters. Just purchased another 6 pullets last week. We mostly use the eggs for personal use but also supply people we work with with fresh eggs. Certainly don't sell the eggs for profit but every dozen we sell does help pay the bills for feed. It's just nice to know we can provide ourselves with a food source if needed.

Our chickens are free range and we've noticed them spending a lot of time up near our home and their constant ground working seems to be taking a toll on our grass around our deck. Does anyone know of a good way to keep chickens off certain areas when they are free ranging.? Last year they also got into our garden and wreaked some havok in there as well. Also were planning to fertilize the grass this spring and were concerned with the chickens maybe eating the fertilizer. Will this be a problem do you think.

Any help with these concerns will be appreciated.

Thankyou for this great resource!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. I don't have chickens but I don't think there is much you can do besides fencing off the area you don't want them in.

3. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Hello and welcome to BYC!!

There is no way to keep them out of the areas you don't want them in except fencing, and that only helps a little! If you find and easy way, please share it with the rest of us! I have lost almost every plant, flower, veggie and even potted plants to my chickens. I use Tposts and bird netting to surround the flower beds that I want them out of. It is a constant battle, and not very attractive, but I can get a few tomatoes for myself that way.

I have never had any trouble with the chickens getting sick from eating fertilizer. If they eat it, it must not hurt them.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, flybyedandy, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I agree with wisher - there is no way short of a fence to keep chickens out of where you don't want them. Good luck to you and your birds!

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Good strong predator fencing would also offer some protection from loose dogs, etc.[​IMG]

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. nhuhong

nhuhong Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Welcome and good luck with keeping them off your garden!

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from New Mexico!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by