Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by varmit chicken, Mar 23, 2013.

1. varmit chicken

varmit chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    Hi
    I am a new member and excited to learn tons about chickens. I started with chickens 2 years ago and am hooked, I don't know how I went so many years without them. :) I recently bought 3 rainbow chicks 1 week old at the feed store, they said it is a new breed. Does anyone out there have them I would love to see photos of what they look like and any info about them I can get.
    Thanks to you all.
    Varmit chicken

2. White Leghorn

White Leghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    Hello and [​IMG] from Western NC! PM me with any questions you have! Can you post some pics of your chicks?

3. varmit chicken

Mar 23, 2013
    Ah I haven't got a way to upload a photo at this time, I can later. Do you have any info on rainbow chickens or photos?

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, varmit chicken, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock. Not sure if there is a rainbow breed. I know feed stores and hatcheries sometimes see a "rainbow layer" package that consist of a mix of breeds that lay different shades of brown eggs and the occasional green or blue egger. Good luck to you!

5. White Leghorn

White Leghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    I have never heard of a rainbow chicken unless you are referring to what some places consider mixed breeds and egg layers or referring to Easter Eggers!

6. varmit chicken

Mar 23, 2013
    It is a "new Breed" it comes from the Hoovers Hatchery, Inc. It shows a picture but it is small.
    Here is what it says in the book from the Hatchery
    ( The Rainbow is a dual purpose bird (egg layers and meat birds, It has one of the most unique feather color patterns you will ever see. It has every color you can imagine --- no two birds look alike!! The hens lay large brown eggs. The males reach market weight around 12 weeks. 5 lbs.))

They are adorable and real friendly. Once I can I will put a photo up of my chicks... the wings already look somewhat colorful.

7. varmit chicken

Mar 23, 2013
  8. varmit chicken

Mar 23, 2013
    Go to the website and type in Rainbow chicken and a photo will show up. :) but it is a small photo

9. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

Those rainbows look really neat. Good luck with your new chicks

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by