1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sueslau, Jun 4, 2007.

1. sueslau

sueslau New Egg

Jun 4, 2007
    My daughter and I have just visited your website for the first time. We are new chicken owners. We heard about the site from the Out There magazine at Tractor Supply. We need all the advice we can get. We have a bantam rooster and a Barred Plymouth Rock hen. At least that is what she looks like. Anyway, we got them for our daughter (age 6) for Easter after she promised she would take care of them. They are currently living in a rabbit hutch until there coop is ready. I just have a question about the water. I have a waterer from the feed store, but they are constantly getting it full of hay or shavings, whichever I have put in there cage. Does anyone have any other suggestions? They are constantly getting stuff in the water and I worry they won't get enough to drink. We are cleaning the water every hour. I have numerous animals and I have to say, the process of raising chicks has been fun. We cant wait to learn and read more on this site. Thanks:cd

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I place mine on top of up turned dog bowel in the rabbit hutch I use as a brooder. Then I use concrete blocks in my run for the 5 gal waters.

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep placing the water even with the chicks back is proper height. Using whatever works to raise the water height, will make a world of difference.

bigzio

4. sueslau

sueslau New Egg

Jun 4, 2007
    Thanks so much for the help. I'll try raising the waterer today and see how that works. Sue

5. chickenfeathers

chickenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

sueslau,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Sterling, Ohio
    Hi.... [​IMG] and WELCOME

Another option might be to hang it from the roof, not sure you would have a enough room in a hutch tho. ive got mine on a cinder block.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by