Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Menazuba61, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Menazuba61

Menazuba61 Hatching

Jul 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Hi, my name is Mena and I am new to raising backyard chickens. I do have some knowledge, but I will have plenty of questions when I am not sure how to handle a situation with my girls. At this time I have 5 hens and one pullet. One Speckled Sussex, one Russian Orlof (who I am having a problem with; quesions will follow about her), 2 Silver Laced Wyandonette, one mix bread, and one Brahma pullet.
    I aquired the orlof from someone who had quiet a few chickens, and wanted to get rid of some. I took her because I felt sorry for her because she was seriously pecked by one other chicken. She had most of her feathers on her head and rear removed. Now her head is almost fully covered with new feathers, but her rear is still bare. I would like to know if the feathers will grow back and how long will it take? Also, should I put anything on her to protect her bare back? I don't want her to get sick because her skin is exposed.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  2. 4H gal

4H gal Chirping

May 26, 2013
    Welcome to BYC!![​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Mena, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! The feathers on her back may not grow back until after the fall molt. She should be okay without them provided the other hens don't pick on her - so monitor this closely and make sure she has no open wounds. If they do pick at her she will have to be isolated. I have an EE hen that lost most of her back feathers from the constant breeding of a rooster (he's in the freezer). My other girls leave her alone and she doesn't appear to be bothered by the sun. Good luck to you!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Check out the "everything else for sale," thread several BYCers make/sell chicken aprons. These are mainly to keep the roosters from aggravating the area but, they are also good for keeping other chickens from pecking that area or even keeping them warmer

6. liz9910

liz9910 Crowing

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

8. Menazuba61

Menazuba61 Hatching

Jul 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Thank you so much for the information. The other girls do not bother her and I do check her daily to make sure she doesn't have any open wonds. Mena

9. Menazuba61

Menazuba61 Hatching

Jul 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Wow, chicken aprons! What a great idea. I will look into that if it gets to that point. Thank you. Mena

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: