Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by graceasher, Aug 22, 2013.

1. graceasher

graceasher New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    My name is Grace and I am starting a small, backyard coop and am getting 2 hens. I'm nervous because I've never done this before but I love animals and I think this would make me happy. I became disabled in my back and right arm about 9 months ago, and I am going to do a lot of research before I make my purchases. I have a pretty small outdoor space, but I found the most attractive coop on Amazon with lots of great reviews. I have to get lots of information because I will worry about my new hens. I don't want them to be cold or sad due to being in a small space. I want them to be so happy, or else someone with more space should have them. I'm really big on my animals being very happy, it's the most important thing to me. Of I think they are sad, ill in turn, be very sad. How much space do I need for 2 chickens? And the eggs will be a bonus. I love the idea of having my own eggs. God bless all!!

2. Chicken Goddess

Chicken Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Grace! welcome to backyard chickens![​IMG]

Taking care of chickens is quite difficult at first because you wouldn't know much about chickens. but as you start to bond with them it becomes easier.

Firstly, i recommened buying chickens and coops at fodders stores rather than the internet, especially when buying live animals. just take note that buying chickens online means they will come as baby chicks. baby chicks are pretty hard to look after and need continouse maintenance.

Secondly, chickens eat pellets, wheat, fruits and vegetables. BE CAREFUL there are foods chickens can't eat. check out the learning center to find some stuff they dont eat. there was a info page but i can't find it. SORRY

thirdly, you need a nice sized garden or yard for 2 chickens. as long as they have grass, dirt and plants to hack around in, they are fine.

Hope this helps. just ask me any questions you need to know about![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Chicken Goddess

P.S. i recommened leghorns and rhode island reds for egg laying

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Since you have back and arm issues, and little space, I would recommend bantam chickens (small birds) several breeds have bantams as well as large fowl. there are bantam orpingtons, which I believe are good layers. There are also very small breeds like Seramas and Silkies and bantam cochins. I don't think they are the best layers but they don't need a lot of space.

Also seramas and silkies take well to being house pets- if that is what you would like, so you can closely monitor their activities and not need to worry about climate/predators as much.

My friend has 2 seramas and 2 silkies as house pets. She has been keeping chickens as housepets for more than 20 years. Her birds seem happy enough - they even watch tv with her in the evenings

when you decide on a breed/breeds you may want to find chicken-ers in your area. If you go to "where am I, where are you," sub forum you can locate and post on your state thread. That way you will have people who know what is needed in your climate, who is selling what etc. It is much easier on the birds if they are local and don't need to be shipped.

1 person likes this.
  5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site and good luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. graceasher

graceasher New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    Y'all are such kind and supportive people!! I'm getting a lot of flack from some of my friends over this for some reason. Saying, "have you lost your clucking mind?" and saying they are dirty :( I love having a supportive place to come, where people won't judge me for wanting these chicks. I appreciate y'all :)

8. Chicken Goddess

Pretty much everyone on this forum has a chicken. I know the feeling, i get teased ALOT for having chickens and loving them so much. but hey, i can't help it if i like chickens[​IMG]

9. graceasher

graceasher New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    Well our friends just don't get eggs, now do they? Hehe :)

10. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I would share pictures of the coop you want to buy to get feedback first. We bought one on eBay that was supposed to house 3 hens. We now use it as a nesting box to give you an idea how misleading online adds can be :). My advice would be go for the biggest you can afford. No chicken was ever unhappy about having too much room :)

People are funny aren't they. Cats and dogs lick and sniff each other and yet its chooks they call dirty. Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by