Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fatcatbigbat, Oct 28, 2013.

1. fatcatbigbat

fatcatbigbat New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    Gansevoort NY
    Hello everyone. I need help. Keeping chickens is new to me but I fell instantly in love with it. My concern is that my girls aren't laying eggs. We started with chicks in March and picked up more throughout the year. A couple here and there. Some younger, some older. **** you craigslist. At this point we're up to 30. All different kinds. I have a huge coop. Plenty of run. They get tons of compost scraps and laying pellets. We were getting 8 or 9 eggs a day as of two weeks ago. That dwindled and as of the last two days we've gotten none. I live in upstate New York so it's starting to get cold. To be honest I just enjoy having them. But the eggs were nice too. Thank you for reading this. I appreciate any help or advice anyone has to offer.

2. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC! :~D

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Glad to have you aboard. [​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! The lack of eggs are most likely due to the shorter days. Most hens need around 14 hours of light per day to keep them in production, so many chicken owners encourage winter laying by adding artificial light to the coop. This is best done in the mornings, so it doesn't interfere with the chickens' roosting behaviour. Letting them lay though winter without a break does shorten their laying lifespan though.

5. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

X2
    Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve. :frow

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio

X 3 Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

7. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Hey, guys. Do the lights shorten the lifespan of the hen, or just the lifespan of her laying?

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] The added light will shorten their span of laying eggs. Like woman - they have all the eggs they are ever going to produce and when that is used up - no more eggs. Are you certain all the chickens you have are pullets or hens? Plenty of "stealth" roosters out there trying to "pass" until you have them long enough to fall in love with them regardless. Molting hens won't lay either.

9. fatcatbigbat

fatcatbigbat New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    Gansevoort NY
    I did get a couple roosters but I believe the rest are hens. I've been turning their light on in the morning and shutting it off when I lock them up. Thanks for that advice. I also just added on to my original coop and they've been laying in hidden corners of the addition. Tricky chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by