New member!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by raebow92, Nov 26, 2013.

1. raebow92

raebow92 New Egg

Nov 26, 2013
    Hello, everyone! I'm Rae. I live in Wisconsin and I'm 24 years young.

I've been playing around on this site for a few months now but just signed up today because I wanted to make a post about a problem I'm having. You can see it here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/839990/duck-picking-on-chicken-pics-included#post_12393864

My boyfriend brought home 2 ducklings and 6 chicks (3 white, 3 red) that he bought at Tractor Supply in March. I was furious! He set up a brooder in the kitchen and I hated those birds with a passion. Here we are, 8 months later, 10 ducks and 4 chickens. I have totally changed my feelings towards these birds. I spend my free time adding pins to my Clucks & Ducks board on Pinterest, looking at coops here at BYC, taking pictures of my birds, making them hot breakfast while I eat cereal... the list goes on and on.

I also am a "mom" to 2 dogs, a cat and 3 ferrets.

We built a tiny coop for the 8 birds boyfriend brought home. It worked out great for them. It's very small but it does the job. We soon figured out that our 2 ducks were male and female! The female is a giant pekin and the male is an indian runner. So in September, we decided to incubate some eggs! We put 22 eggs in the incubator and 1 month later we had 9 baby ducks. Unfortunately, shortly after moving them outside, something attacked 1 so we have 8 now. Over the summer, we lost 2 of our red chickens, one due to sickness and the other due to an attack. That is how we currently have 10 ducks and 4 chickens.

I am looking forward to spring (it's not even winter yet!) because I have big plans for a new coop. My 14 birds are begging for more room! They're only in the coop at night though so they have plenty of space to run around during the day. After we build our new coop and covered run, I want to get 6 more chickens. Those silkies caught my eye! I'm excited to make frozen treats for them and build a pool for the duck babies to swim in. Only about 4 more months til the first day of Spring! ;)

2. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    :welcome Glad to have you join us! Chickens are pretty hard to resist, aren't they? :lol: I am looking forward to Spring as well. We will be moving to a new house in January, and my girls will be kept in the garage until Spring when we can build a new coop. Not looking forward to it. It'll be worth it in the end though. :)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Chicken Math strikes again! Silkies are fun little birds.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Rae, the addiction takes hold fast and furious - welcome to BYC.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    wow you get spring in March, sometimes we skip spring entirely and just go into summer(hot, hot, hot), Right now we have been getting January weather and it's still November. I think it's called global cooling

7. Chicken Happy

Chicken Happy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2012
    North Idaho
    Welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by