New Member!

CalvinHabba

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 23, 2013
Hello! I cucurrently own 16 chikens. It is my first time ever owning chickens and i love it. They are all girls, and the average age is About 17 weeks old. Some are older though. Now 3 are laying eggs both big and small. I got the 12 littlest ones from Purely Poultry. A great website. And that is about it.

Thank you so much. Since it is winter i decided to let them stay in the coop which is fairly large (about 8 ft by 8 ft) and very high. Mostly all of the chickens are still small so i am waiting untill spring to finaly let them out. There are also 2 rabbits living with them :)

Welcome! Looks like you have a nice assortment of ladies! I'll put a plug in here for getting a rooster to help care for your girls. If you're not in a restricted area, I think you might find the interaction between the roos and the girls most entertaining. One of the most valuable things I've learned here is a foolproof hard boiled egg method. Usually very fresh eggs are difficult to peel, but just in case you're looking for a tip, here it is:
  1. Bring pot of salted water to a boil.
  2. Carefully drop eggs into water and set timer for 14 minutes.
  3. Remove pot and run cold water into it until you can stand to touch the eggs.
  4. Take each egg out and give it a light tap on the side to just crack the shell.
  5. Put cracked eggs back in pot and let set in the cool water a bit until you're ready to peel.
  6. Peel and enjoy
    wink.png
  7. Scrunch the shells up well and give them back to the girls.
Credit for this method goes to Ben of BensHens fame.

Merry Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom