Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by debstar1, Dec 26, 2013.

1. debstar1

debstar1 New Egg

Dec 26, 2013
    Hi my name is debstar1 and I have been looking for answers to raising ducks since we had a clutch of eggs where the mother had died and one egg had hatched. We were lucky to hatch 5 duckings with a great surprise only being kept warm under a lamp.

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio.

it would be best to ask your questions on the duck thread - under the "other backyard poultry" heading.

i dont do alot with ducks, but i can tell you that if they aren't hatched by their mom they lack protective oils. its a good idea not to let them swim for a few days, as their feathers absorb water and they will sink. ive always fed them unmedicated chic starter, but someone else may have better ideas on feed.

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Welcome to [​IMG] this is a great place to start [​IMG]

If you have a question all you need to do is ask [​IMG]
    If you look under the learning center BYC has lots of helpful information [​IMG]

Even have a Form for hatching and it is for anything that comes from an egg and someone had already been there and dune it [​IMG]

When I hatch Duck eggs I always dry them in the brooder but as you sais a lamp ok that will work fine just keep them away from drafts and always wash your hands before and after handling your new addition [​IMG]

I always feed them chick starter and get some Probiotic to put in the little guys water for a couple of days [​IMG]

Do not let them go swimming for several weeks and always keep an eye on them around deep water or more then an inch [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - check out the 'Ducks' section in the "Other Backyard Poultry" forum.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome to BYC and Happy Holidays!

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Sorry don't know anything about ducks, but someone in the Ducks forum should be able to help you, good luck!

8. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by