Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TJs Chicks4, Jan 7, 2014.

1. TJs Chicks4

TJs Chicks4 New Egg

Apr 28, 2013
    Never had chickens, only pets are dogs, cat, and did have indoor caged small birds. I have been dreaming about having chicks, chickens for over a year now and this spring my husband is building my chick home. So I bought books on chickens to read through the winter. After reading about snakes, and all the diseases they get and all the meds and vets bills. WELL I am having second thoughts......I am loving and kind and would keep their home clean, but I am a girly girl. Does anyone relate? Cold In PA.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

Chickens do require some responsibility and work. However they can also be very rewarding. But you are on the right path...reading up on them. Don't jump in if you feel you can't keep them proper.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  3. TJs Chicks4

TJs Chicks4 New Egg

Apr 28, 2013
    Thanks, That is my fear, getting them and investing a lot of money then regreting it. I will take my time and keep reading. Thanks for replying.

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Girlie girls have chickens too!!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. JFreeman

JFreeman Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome! I have realized there's a lot of information out there, but you should realize a lot of it is "it could happen" scenarios that may seem overwhelming. A lot of those can be prevented through research, which you are doing well, just don't let it all scare you out of a dream. Any animal has a lot of information that could scare you away. Figuring out what you need and what breed you get is part of the battle, but also make sure you buy your chicks from good places can prevent a lot of the what-if's. Locals are best because you can see the living conditions of the stock behind what you are getting. If it's a dirty place where they are all cramped together, I wouldn't recommend getting any there, etc. Sometimes you can't find what you are looking for so you go through a hatchery. People have good and bad reviews, so just do what you are doing and find what is best for you. I hope this helps, and I wish you Good luck!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    X 2 Even 'Girly girls' can keep chickens. Start with some pretty little 'lawn ornament' bantams.

9. TJs Chicks4

TJs Chicks4 New Egg

Apr 28, 2013
    Yes, that is helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by