Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RedMeadowFarm, Jan 23, 2014.

1. RedMeadowFarm

RedMeadowFarm New Egg

Jan 22, 2014
    Hi from Northern Minnesota. With temps around -35 degrees it has been an interesting winter for this first time chicken keeper. My wife and I moved up here about five months ago to twenty acres of country. With her having a food blog(lots if chances to use eggs) and there being an old coop attached to the barn it seemed logical to say yes when offered six chickens from a co-worker.

We have two RR, three Buff Orps and an Ester Egger. We were told that only one was laying and wouldn't be till spring for eggs with stress of move. They came from a two foot square coop to our fifty foot square coop. Within two weeks we were getting 5-6 eggs a day. They have heated water and a sand floor that gets cleaned daily. Lady we got chickens from says we are spoiling them and that's why we get so many eggs. Love in, love out right?

This spring I plan on adding another RR, two Easter Eggers, three Silver Laced Wyandottes and three Australorps. Should provide a nice feather color range. Also, adding two runs so they can alter every couple days to give the grass a chance to recover. With the ground and air wild life here should be an interesting task of making a safe place for the ladies to strech their legs.

2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

3. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Welcome to BYC! Good luck on your chicken adventure! [​IMG]

4. itlog

itlog Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2013
    Zone 5, Midwest
    Welcome! This has also been my first winter raising chickens and it really has been challenging. I only have three bantam Easter Eggers. It was so awesome to get eggs! I live on a city lot...but boy would I love 20acres. I am pretty new to BYC too but am in love with raising Bantams.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    HI there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Great to have you aboard and enjoy all your poultry adventures!

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. You'll definitely enjoy your Silver-Laced Wyandottes-- they are beautiful birds, and good layers.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by