Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rogrut1968, Jan 31, 2014.

1. rogrut1968

rogrut1968 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2014
    United States
    Signed up to get advice...have 35 production reds..5 mixed breeds. One of mu reds went broody...she's 5 months old..wont eat or drink...put feed and water in her nest...she imbibed..but days later..when I took her out of nest to communiry feed and water....she "threw up" all contents. Didn't actually see her...but undigested scratch and feed on ground near her...a lot! Not sure what to do so separated her in own pen with food and water...she doesnt eat or drink...gave her rock egg to sit on...she lets me scratch under he chin...doesnt peck but makes protective noise. When out in open with others she flys up to me and roosts on my shoulder. Other chickens peck her...so...isolated her from them.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Doesn't sound like broodiness to me. Sounds like something else is wrong with her. This "throw up" is coming from the crop. And for some reason the crop did not move the contents thru the intestinal tract. You need to separate her out from the others, in a cage other small area. If it is cold where you live, you will want to give her some heat. Cold birds will not eat or drink. Only give her damp feed. No hard foods, seeds, grass, no free ranging. Just damp feed. If her crop is really full, you need to vomit all that out of there.

Hold her like a foot ball in one arm beak forward, and support her at the crop with the other hand. Lean her forward, beak down and gently massage and squeeze the crop. As SOON as the fluid comes up and out of the beak, count to 2 or 3 and stand up immediately so she can breathe. Give her a minute to catch her breath and do this again.

Then put her back in her cage or where ever you are keeping her and see if this does not help. Many times when birds have a crop full, but are not eating or drinking, this happens at the end of their lives. So she may not make it if she is not eating or drinking. If the vomiting helps her, it is possible she is suffering from a slow or sour crop. If this is the case, she will need to be kept on damp feed only, no free ranging, no other food stuffs for about a week. You can add probiotics to the feed or water to help rebuild the good bacteria.

Good luck with your hen and I hope she makes a full recovery. :)

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

X2

Alright [​IMG] great to have you onboard with us [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Also, give her an over all inspection. Check her for being egg bound (Use KY jelly on a gloved index finger and gently insert your finger into the vent to feel for an egg). Check her over for bugs. Feel her abdomen for fullness. (it shouldn't be soft and squishy). Look her over for any other tell tale signs of illness. Sometimes a slow/sour crop is secondary to something more major.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please post in detail on "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread

6. Hope she starts feeling better soon!

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. rogrut1968

Jan 31, 2014
    United States
    Thanks...posted in that forum...new to this so hope I did ut right. Thanks again.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your hen, hope she gets better.

9. rogrut1968

Jan 31, 2014
    United States

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by