1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MisfitMiniFarm, Feb 21, 2014.

1. MisfitMiniFarm

MisfitMiniFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    Washington
    Hello! Just wanted to say I absolutely love this site.. been utilizing the information from it for almost two years now but never took the time to make my own profile. We have a very small flock: Betty Boop the Barred Rock, T-Rex the Rhode Island Red, Louise the Americauna (there was a Thelma but she turned into a roo and sadly had to go as we live in the city), Rhett Butler some random mixed breed rooster.. who we love, love, love! but may need to find a home for and Turkey-Lurkey... the Turkey.
    Anyone know much about Turkeys? About a week or two before Thanksgiving I had a neighbor ask if one of my chickens got out, as she saw a bird wandering the next block over... I grabbed some feed and headed out, thinking.. " How would one of MY chickens get out??" As I rounded the corner of the block there it was... a white Turkey.. I walked around and it scurried away, I threw feed, it scurried away.. I thought well screw this! As I considered leaving the neighbor behind me came out in complete shock I was standing in his yard with a turkey not 6 feet away. "It's not mine!" I blurted out, "Just thought I'd put it in with my chickens so the coyotes don't get it" - he then help me chase down the bird until in ran into a huge shrub. All of us exhausted chasing it though the neighborhood, I crawled in and pulled it out by its feet. So.... we now have a rescue turkey. What I don't get about her, is every night she makes this loud almost honking-like noise, right at dusk. She is ten times louder than any rooster we've had but since she's a game bird, no one can do anything about it.. Does anyone know why she makes this awkward and almost panic - sound? Kinda funny that she's legal and the rooster isn't [​IMG]

Oh and if you're wondering, she's not a great pet. She really wants nothing to do with us and any time we do get a hold of her for anything, she bites the whole time! But now we've named her and grown attached... story of my life...

Thanks for any input! Doesn't seem to be a whole ton of info on Turkeys since they act/are more wild than chickens (except the wonderful documentary "My Year as a Turkey").

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Turkey-Lurkey was lucky you rescued her, guess she knew she better run away before Thanksgiving... try the BYC turkey forum about the calls she makes https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/20/turkeys

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the flock [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If she's white I doubt she is a wild turkey. White animals attract predators

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Well, this turkey may not care for you, but at least you took her in! I guess she will always bite the hand that feeds her. [​IMG]

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

6. MisfitMiniFarm

MisfitMiniFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    Washington
    Oh yeah, shes's not a wild bird.. she just doesn't seem nearly as domesticated as chickens. Plus I live in the city in the kind of neighborhood where people do raise meat birds... But we don't eat meat. not land meat (still eat fish - I only think it's right to eat what I could emotionally kill, clean, etc.. and the thought of killing land animals disturbs me greatly, but I grew up fishing so I seem to be able to handle it better). Her being white does worry me for the rest of the girls' safety. They haven't gotten to free range since we've... obtained Turkey. I was actually kind of shocked when I looked up turkeys and saw some are white! I really knew nothing about them, lol!

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I don't know anything about turkeys either. Maybe you could train her to be a guard turkey! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by