Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Buddycat, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Buddycat

Buddycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Hello to all of you. I haven't got started with chickens yet but I have a coop and have been looking at chicks. What are the best for laying? I'm going to have 3 or 4.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Mediterranean breeds are better layers but not as cold hardy as other breeds. There are hybrids like sex links that are excellent layers too and cold hardy. If your in a colder climate and want a heritage breed then dual purpose breeds that lay well are for you. Choose the type of bird to suit your climate.

There are many variables to choosing a chicken and usually the most important is not function (eggs and meat quality) rather what the bird looks like. Color patterns (variety) of a breed is high on the list so go ahead and choose that then narrow down your choices to Mediterranean or American or other class of chicken. Then choose one that lays the best of what's left. Color of egg may be of importance to you too. Marans, Welsummer and Pendesca are dark brown (chocolate color) layers. Auraucana, Ameraucana and Cream Legbar are Blue egg layers.

If I was in a warmer climate I'd likely have Brown Leghorns or Blue Andalusions (Mediterranean Class). When we first started out we simply purchased chicks form the local feed store in spring. Sex links (both red and black), hatchery production reds and hatchery Barred Rocks are what we got. We were completely inundated with eggs. Being all hatchery stock (they breed for egg production not heritage quality) and traditionally above average layers our birds laid for up to 9 days straight, took a day off then another 8 or 9 days straight. So keep in mind if your not getting a heritage bird from breeder then most of the birds you get from hatcheries will be excellent layers if they are good layer breeds to begin with.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  3. Buddycat

Feb 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Thanks for the reply. This should help. We have a tractor supply and cal-ranch store here that has chicks and they will order for you. Again, thanks, buddycat.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The beauty of hatchery birds from local feed store is they are 90% accurate you'll get pullets. Sex links are 100% accurate. So if all pullets and great layers is what you want then save on headache and get a sex link. Gold Comet, Red or Black Star, Red Sex Link are some of the many names they go by. My Black Sex Links were very friendly big birds.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Lots of good layers out there. I am a huge fan of the Orpington Breeds. Great dual purpose birds for meat and eggs, plus they are very docile, affectionate and very hardy. You might want to take a look at our breeds section here on BYC to see what other members are saying about the different breeds...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

And here is a great external link to a breeds page with lots of quick info you can look at as well...

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

Great to have you aboard and enjoy all your poultry adventures!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - great advice given by Egghead and Two Crows!

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry I am easily distracted and after seeing your avatar, all I can think about is HAMBURGERS.

but, Welcome to BYC just the same.

10. Buddycat

Feb 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Thanks for all the great info. I'll check the link out for sure. I'm going to have fun and eat good too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by